• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing in Scotland

Hi folks, happy New Year!

I've just been given a grow-your-own chili pepper kit containing Anaheim, Cayenne and Chocolate Habanero seeds and am desperate that at least the habaneros should succeed. The problem is that I live in Scotland so am unsure as to whether these plants would be able to survive in a greenhouse or whether I'd need to place them under fluorescent lights.

What do you all think?

In Wisconsin I did well starting them in January in the house till about Febuary-March then I put them out in a heated hot house that I built. They did well everywhere and grew good- just burnt some with heater blowing on them that is all. But when I put them out on May 15th I lost some with a very high wind that ripped the leaves off.

Good luck

It might be a good idea to start the seedlings under the flouro's, then finishing the grow outdoors planted in containers or in the ground. The Habs will take a bit longer to grow before the fruit will ripen. A word of caution, the Anaheim and Cayenne plants can grow tall pretty quick, as with most annuum varieties. I'm starting my Hab varieties next week and the Cayennes and Anaheims later around the middle of Febuary. All will be grown indoors under flouro's and planted outdoors in containers hopefully early May. I should see some heavy fruit by late June.....
Good luck.

Greg

+1 on starting as early as you can indoors

i bet you have a very short summer and heavy rains so some type of greenhouse or shelter will greatly help when you move plants outdoors.
Peppers dont like to have wet feet...

Good luck

Datil

+1 to starting indoors now with the Habanero, and by the middle/end of February for the Annuums. Then harden off and plant outside into black plastic mulch and under a cloche or hoophouse when overnight lows get up to about 5 degrees celsius... just take care to open them out by mid-morning on sunny days to dissipate excess heat and avoid burning the chiles, and button them up again a couple of hours before sundown to once again trap heat.

It might be a good idea to start the seedlings under the flouro's, then finishing the grow outdoors planted in containers or in the ground. The Habs will take a bit longer to grow before the fruit will ripen. A word of caution, the Anaheim and Cayenne plants can grow tall pretty quick, as with most annuum varieties. I'm starting my Hab varieties next week and the Cayennes and Anaheims later around the middle of Febuary. All will be grown indoors under flouro's and planted outdoors in containers hopefully early May. I should see some heavy fruit by late June.....
Good luck.

Greg

PIC-1 has some very good advice. Much like I have envisioned Scotland, here in Chicago we are subject to some cold, windy, blustery temperature snaps from time to time.

There is much to be said about giving plants a good start indoors if you have a shorter season. I've been able to get my plants to a very nice level before the weather was nice and they could go outdoors. I usually plant them in 16oz party cups, and they can get to like 18"-24" easy just in that little cup.

Just time it right. You get a nice, healthy plant like that going (some may start blooming, some even setting developing pods) and then you start transitioning them outside.. they'll just go nuts and you'll be harvesting soon.

Back