• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing medium for an airpot

Hello fellow gardeners,

Before I even ask my question I would like to say I have read the previous forums about airpots and everyone's opinions are appreciated but I decided to buy one and try it for something different. I may eventually try the cloth bags but for now a airpot.

Which brings me to my questions any info would be appreciated.

1: since there is so much drainage do I need to put rocks in the bottom to allow for easier drainage?

2: as far as growing medium right now I have garden dirt or miracle grow "enriched potting mix" my question is with the airpot should I add percolite or something and use the miracle grow or go with garden dirt?

3: Would it be terrible to transplant a pepper in a normal pot to the airpot at this point in the season?

Thanks everyone!!

-Steve

1) Rocks at the bottom is a persistant myth that took on new life with the internet. Can't remember the details, but there are a few real reasons not to do it. Roots prefer the extra inch of soil anyway.

2) Only use potting mix in a container, and a good potting mix preferably. I'm familiar with their product, therefore i would add extra perlite to the miracle grow. Never fill a pot with garden dirt (compacts too much) unless it's just a minor ingredient in a mix. 

3) Terrible? No, but you will get minor growth setback, and possibly drop a couple of flowers, depending on how bad you beat up the roots. Give the plant(s) a day in the shade after transplanting.

The above advice is solid.

I would mix 20-30% perlite into that MG soil if that's all you have. Ideally, you could have better soil for less money if you mixed your own.

Back