• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Growing multiple varieties indoors (have read old threads but need some help)

So before I go on, I did do some readings on previous threads, but I just want to try to get as much info before I jump into this hobby headfirst.

I'm currently a student at university and don't have a balcony so this limits me greatly. However, I still want to try to grow hot peppers. To help me with this I have a 95 watt floodlight (for heat and to provide some light) as well as a T8 UVB bulb. Obviously, at least from what I read, I'll need more light in general as having one floodlight will create a long, spindly plant (which I wouldn't want).

What I plan on doing is once the seeds sprout, I'd like to have one light coming from the top and then another one coming in from the side (with aluminum foil on the other side to reflect light). How efficient do you think this would be? Also, I'm a bit worried about the heat. How do I overcome the high heat (as a floodlight could be anywhere from 110+ F)? Does anyone have any photos of their indoor setups too by any chance?

Also, I will, whenever I get the chance, bring the plants down every now and then when I come home to put them outside on the patio for them to get some natural UVB for a few weeks (but will do this with a gradual change 2 hours every day, then 3, then 4, then 5, then all day).

As I'm planning to start the seeds in a week or two, I'd also like to know what's a better way to start the seeds, the plastic baggie method or just putting them into cells? I'll also be using a heating pad hooked up to a thermostat (extra one from keeping reptiles haha).

Thanks if these questions have been asked before, but I did do a quick read through some threads before and just wanted to double check. If anyone has any photos of their set ups it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

So I've also rethought my plan and here's what I'll be doing:

I'm going to keep the plant(s) right next to my bed (near the window) and then have a SunBlaster (http://www.ncwgs.com/product_info.php?&products_id=2435) raised up by books (and/or blocks of wood) that's around an inch or two above the said growing plants. I'll add more books as the plants grow as well. I'm guessing being right next to the window and having the T5 HO light it'll be just enough (I'll also be rotating the plants everyday). As for heat, I'll use a heat mat to keep the bottom of the pots warm once they germinate it.

However, does anyone know what temps. to keep the heat mat at? What about while the seeds are in the plastic baggie? I'm guessing around 80-85 and then bump it up to just 85 when the plants have sprouted?

Thanks!

Hi Insectman,

80ish is fine for the heat mat. You can work the seeds in a baggy to assure they germinate...damp paper towel some say in the dark others say not needed. So easy to make dark I'd suggest that. Don't let the germinated seeds stay in the wet paper towel too long, the fine root hairs will start to intertwine with the paper. Plant root-tip down about 1/2 inch but not much more.

With the t5, you're only going to get so much mileage. Keep in mind that it would be best to have only one row directly under the bulb. This year I got a 4' t5 and had so many starts that I had 4 or 5 rows. The center ones grew best, the outer ones bent towards to light...was a pain to constantly rotate them. Also, 2" may be a good starting point but keep in mind that these plants can grow quite a bit in one day. Keep a close eye on the leaves as they will burn if too close. This is the simple setup I would recommend as opposed to the books. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JYJDNG/ref=twister_B015JYJC5A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. I wouldn't try to grow out a mature plant with this *unless* I kept them in a small pot to restrict their growth. I have a 'bonzai' Criolla Sella that's just a dwarf in a small pot...Making pods. I have others from the same batch of seeds in 5 gallon buckets that are huge. Small pot=small plant...and possible root binding but you work with what you got to work with.

As I wrote on an earlier post, my habaneros are doing pretty good in lower light with maybe 3 hours of direct sunlight per-day. So if your daylight is limited, this may be a good option. Your exact species may vary but that's been my experience.

Keep it simple and best of luck!

Back