• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Growing Organically

Not to get completely off-topic though... with most hot peppers, you shouldn't have much issue growing with organic methods and you may be fine doing so if you so desire. In the scheme of things, compared to other crops, chiles aren't bothered by too many pests, and it comes down to personal preference on fertilizer. I doubt having my fish ferts shipped to me from amazon is doing the environment any favors. On the other hand, if you're doing sweet peppers, you may find more things trying to munch on them, at least that has been my experience. I rarely do bells anymore just because of the extra effort.

On the topic, it's no coincidence that bell peppers are among the foods with the highest pesticide residue levels (see link). That link is a good guide for shopping in your produce section- there are really only a handful of fruits and vegetables you should avoid. I worked in a produce department for several years and I tried, in vain, to explain this to customers. The ones looking for organic onions were always my favorite.

The only time I really have any difficulty with being organic is early on indoors when there are aphids and not natural predators. I think we all know how damaging and persistant aphids can be, and I've found ladybugs are useless for me until spring weather arrives.
Now to be truly organic, there are many other things you need to consider from the type of plugs/containers used, using regular garden hoses with lead in them, to watching what your neighbors are spraying, and then you always have to look at the source of your manures/ composts, and even the source of your seeds

The only time I really have any difficulty with being organic is early on indoors when there are aphids and not natural predators. I think we all know how damaging and persistant aphids can be, and I've found ladybugs are useless for me until spring weather arrives.
Now to be truly organic, there are many other things you need to consider from the type of plugs/containers used, using regular garden hoses with lead in them, to watching what your neighbors are spraying, and then you always have to look at the source of your manures/ composts, and even the source of your seeds

I have no idea how to get rid of aphids organically inside. Luckily I haven't had that happen yet. It's tough even outside. Random bugs like to take chunks out of my plants' leaves. I can't figure out what bugs are doing it. I caught a slug in action though!

Back