• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Growing peppers directly in the soil with raised beds or in 5 gallons bucket?

Hi there!!!  :!:  I'm looking for some advice.

There is a chance for myself to get a little garden of about 20 x 9 yards and I want to grow some peppers in there, the thing is, the soil is white earth with pumice rock like the one in the pic:

35ncygx.jpg

Would you recommend me to use raised beds or 5 gallons buckets?

Please, let me know your opinions and suggestions  :pray:

Thanks in advance!!!

Armando thanks for letting me know that finally my seeds arrived with you in San Salvador ... I personally think that either would work well for you. Pumice in soil would help airiate the plants so as long as you can get hold of a good quality soil your plants should flourish. I grow in containers in a poly tunnel and a 5 gallon would be more than suitable

Jhon, thanks to you my friend!

The thing with the soil is that all that white thing is volcanic ash compacted from hundred years and plants don't thrive in it.

The water is another thing, we have 6 months of dry season and 6 of rainy. Do you think that it will be more controlable using buckets?

Thanks again.

My wife swears she can taste the difference between field grown and container grown produce.  She much prefers field grown.  I do as well, but it is because plants seem to survive occasional neglect when field grown.  It seems no matter how large a container I use, I can always manage to under water it.

Trident chilli said:
Armando thanks for letting me know that finally my seeds arrived with you in San Salvador ... I personally think that either would work well for you. Pumice in soil would help airiate the plants so as long as you can get hold of a good quality soil your plants should flourish. I grow in containers in a poly tunnel and a 5 gallon would be more than suitable
Thanks again Trident chilli!!! I am actually using pumice with the ones already have and everything is going good so far, thanks for your input :)

moruga welder said:
might want to go 5 gal. and get you some bagged potting soil to make you up a mix    ,      :onfire:

Thanks moruga welder, will see the potting soil too, I'm using a mix of pumice, black earth, composted leaves and worm castings, any other recommendation?

ajdrew said:
My wife swears she can taste the difference between field grown and container grown produce.  She much prefers field grown.  I do as well, but it is because plants seem to survive occasional neglect when field grown.  It seems no matter how large a container I use, I can always manage to under water it.

ajdrew, your wife has some amazing talent, I wouldn't notice the difference xD I'll take note on the neglect part, here we have 6 months of rain, I don't worry too much if the drainage is ok, but 6 months without rain is something I have to keep in mind, thanks!!!

Any other idea or recommendation is welcome and appreciated :)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Back