seeds Growing peppers for the first time, wondering if the seeds I bought are legit

Hinterland isn't as bad as some of the others, like Seeds Direct. You should be safe. No real guarantee though.

Phil said:
Hinterland isn't as bad as some of the others, like Seeds Direct. You should be safe. No real guarantee though.
Okay. Is there a time when I will be able to tell what type of plant I have or is it only once it starts making fruit?

Flowering is different from species to species, so that's an early indicator. Multiple flowers at each node is an indicator of chinense, single flowers at the nodes indicate annuum, gold flecks indicate baccatum, etc.

If you know what species you're growing, you'll be able to tell if it's not right early on, with a trained eye. There's no better indicator than the fruit, really.

Phil said:
Flowering is different from species to species, so that's an early indicator. Multiple flowers at each node is an indicator of chinense, single flowers at the nodes indicate annuum, gold flecks indicate baccatum, etc.

If you know what species you're growing, you'll be able to tell if it's not right early on, with a trained eye. There's no better indicator than the fruit, really.
Thank you, guess I will just wait and see

You won't know until Pod time I bought some veggie seeds from them last year don't remember what seeds I purchased but no complaints. But I have heard many hot pepper seed complaints of them selling orange habs for super hots: Not My review http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31425-hinterlands-trading-co/

(HOWEVER now that I have grown them out, almost every variety that I purchased has turned out to be orange habaneros. Bhut Jalokia (which didn't come in the seeds of change packet btw) was orange habs, and the same with my chocolate habs, red carribean habs, red scotch bonnets, Trinidad scorpion Butch T, 7pods and so forth. The cayennes grew out to look like cayennes, but have no heat. Its been suggested by members here that they are "Holy Mole" peppers.

The "Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnets" turned out to be an Annuum Bonnet. Which is not all that common from what I hear (though it might be some early unstable hybrid).

Naga Morrich appears to have grown true, as did the Douglah.

In the end if I were to rate them on a 1 to 5 scale where 5 is awesome, and 1 is I hope their garden becomes infested with mites, I rate them a 2. Their customer service was fantastic. Their product was horrible both in overall germination rates, and in their seed growing true to type.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this company.)

Now - since I've been wronged by too many vendors - I only trust a few vendors and many members on THP.  I know tooooo many companies get their seeds from elsewhere, not grown by themselves.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

I got some seeds from them many years ago, but not super hots. They all grew fairly close to what they were suppose to have been.
If you can, grow them out for us to see.

GA Growhead said:
I got some seeds from them many years ago, but not super hots. They all grew fairly close to what they were suppose to have been.
If you can, grow them out for us to see.

jojo said:
I would be kool if u could provide the results here.  or maybe vendor forum?
I will update when they grow/ make peppers

Back