• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing peppers for the first time

This is actually my first time growing anything, let alone peppers lol. Is there anything I should be aware of? I've watched videos on how to grow them but is there say, a list of supplies that i need, a certain type of dirt, anything? I'm growing carolina reapers, bhut jolokias, and brain strains this year. I took some of the seeds from my bakers box just for shits and giggles and tried to germinate them and they sprouted a little bit, so i think i got the germination thing under control, but what do i do after that? Can i use egg cartons to plant the sproutlings? 

So i read it, and the only question i have is can i use a regular florescent bulb for a light souce? Or do i have to go out and buy tube lights. Or even better, can i put my peppers by the windows or will they not get any light nutrients because of the glass

Glass doesn't block the visible spectrum which is the majority of what plants use, so if your window is very sunny it will work, at least well enough to get seedlings that are then moved outside when it's warm

Yeah I have a room that's about 50% windows. The tradeoff to that of course is that it gets freezing/hot as hell depending on what the weather is outside, so i'm gonna have to put a heater in there in additon to the heatmat.

Does plantation soil aka coconut fiber work as a seed starting mix? I have an unused block of it laying around cause i also have a couple reptiles and it'd save me a few bucks if i didn't have to get potting soil. 

Synastral said:
Does plantation soil aka coconut fiber work as a seed starting mix? I have an unused block of it laying around cause i also have a couple reptiles and it'd save me a few bucks if i didn't have to get potting soil. 
I would use a good quality seed raising mix.Skip the coco if you are a first time grower IMO

Synastral said:
Any specific brand/type you recommend
Well,I live in Newzealand so Im not sure what brands are good where you are from but I am sure others will chime in with examples.
the one I use here has an antifungal + a wetting agent + a slow release fertilizer.

You can always optimize your tech, to be more efficient. But the basic of chili growing requires nothing more than some pots with soil, artificial lights and such aren't nessencary.

I am doing fine just buying whatever potting soil they have at my local supermarket, putting seeds in this soil, keeping it moist and placing the plants in a window. Temperatures shouldn't be below ~16-18 degrees celsius in my experience.

And try not to water too much!

Soil  -Fox Farms Ocean Forest for starting and finishing is hard to beat. It's more likely to be found at a grow shop than a big box store.

Bang for you buck - T8 fluoresent 6500K bulbs at 2-3" above leaf canopy is good. A window unless it's a bay window, will not give young seedlings even enough light causing them to lean and likely become "leggy'. As the plants get 6-8 weeks old some window time is OK. Plus, they will grow best on 15-18 hrs of light per day,  

Welcome to THP and Happy Growing 2105! 

Once plants germinate, put them under light,about 3 to 4 inches under the light source for most of the day. I keep them on for 16 hours using a cheap timer. I second using T8 tubes. They are cheap and adequate until they go outside. Then harden off for a couple of weeks before placing in their permanent spot. Adequate water, fertilizer, good soil, and lots of sun and they will be happy.

I follow the "keep it simple, stupid" saying. Plants are tougher than what people think.

The only thing I might add is to make sure you don't over water your plants. Also, if you can it helps to put a fan on them. The fan will help them from getting too wet at the surface as well as help strengthen the stem. Maybe the most useful thing I've picked up from Growers at THP is to mostly leave your plants alone and let them grow. We tend to baby our babies but sometimes that is the last thing they need.

T8s are also what I use. Cheap and effective until you can put them outside.

Welcome to this addictive hobby.

Just as an alternative to shop lights, this year I'm using a setup I read about here, basically a power strip with Y adapters and power to light socket adapters (thanks juanitos!). For bulbs I bought 6 of the new plastic cree LEDs at Home Depot (the 60 watt equivalents, 10w, in 6500K and 800 lumens) but I only ended up using four of them. I have the power strip velcroed to the bottom of a shelf riser on a bookcase. Underneath I have three 9x13 trays of mixed tomatoes and peppers.

I think the shop light option is pretty much ideal. But I wouldn't discount flexibility, even if it's a little pricier upfront. If I had to go out to the garage to check on them or worry about the kids knocking over a light fixture set up upstairs, I wouldn't have started any seeds at all!

So kind of an update A seed germinated and is doing really well. This is it after 3 days after it sprouted I have about 30 seeds though and none except that one germinated. Not sure if i did something wrong or what but i expected a few at least.. maybe some take more time than others? 

BVCh2XV.jpg

Congrats on the sprout. Chinense tend to take 2 weeks and annums about 1 week at 82° to pop.
The coir will work but you will need to use some sort of hyro-nutes before too long.
I used an A and B from Gen Hydroponics last year, but also had good results from Seabird guano in water.
Water them almost every day with nutrients(weak  of course) and flush them clean once a week.

JJJessee said:
Congrats on the sprout. Chinense tend to take 2 weeks and annums about 1 week at 82° to pop.
The coir will work but you will need to use some sort of hyro-nutes before too long.
I used an A and B from Gen Hydroponics last year, but also had good results from Seabird guano in water.
Water them almost every day with nutrients(weak  of course) and flush them clean once a week.
How much does that cost..? Without getting too personal i really don't have a lot of money to spend. I read up on it before i bought this stuff you just needed a light some soil and some heat maybe some decent soil  lol 

Back