• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Growing Peppers in Raised Beds?

Hi all,

I want to grow a few pepper varieties in a contained, raised bed garden and I'm not sure how far down to prepare the soil. I usually grow chillies in 5-gallon buckets and I think that's roughly 10 to 11 inches deep. Would this measurement be sufficient for a raised bed?

Thanks for the help!

the deeper the better Jenny...reason is that if you can develop roots deeper than 12", you won't risk the issues of high heat on your roots....of course, I don't know where in Ca you are and heat may not be an issue...

Any reason why you can't grow in non contained raised beds? Other wise I would grow in 7 gallon containers.

Jamie

My raised bed is about a foot deep and that has worked well for me. But Since I'm in the north, the heat issues with roots, as AJ brought up, probably isn't an issue for me.

I have several of my pepper plants in raised beds about 12 inches deep and they seem to love it. They've definitely gotten a lot bigger since I took them out of pots and into the ground. I'd recommend it.

the deeper the better Jenny...reason is that if you can develop roots deeper than 12", you won't risk the issues of high heat on your roots....of course, I don't know where in Ca you are and heat may not be an issue...

Thanks! So would you say that 12" is the minimum depth, but anything deeper is better? I'm in Northern California and while it don't get as hot as other locations, we still have our hot summers like last year.

Any reason why you can't grow in non contained raised beds? Other wise I would grow in 7 gallon containers.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, no reason other than I like the look of contained raised beds better.

Mine are 7 inches above ground and works well, but i have good dirt in them...

Thanks!

My raised bed is about a foot deep and that has worked well for me. But Since I'm in the north, the heat issues with roots, as AJ brought up, probably isn't an issue for me.

Yep, I'm thinking a foot sounds good for my area. Thanks!

What about addin some compost to the top of your spot and work it in to the first 6 or so inches of the soil?

That's a good idea. Do you add compost every year? Does that make it so the soil has enough nutrients for each growing season? I'm sure fertilizer helps too. Thanks!

I have several of my pepper plants in raised beds about 12 inches deep and they seem to love it. They've definitely gotten a lot bigger since I took them out of pots and into the ground. I'd recommend it.

That's exactly why I want to try moving a few into the raised beds. Sounds like 12 inches is popular choice for soil depth. Thanks!

i agree with alabama jack
if you are trying to grow big peppers
try to grow big plants
with big and deeper root sysyems
if you dig and amend down to 18 to 20 inch by
'double digging' will likely give better results

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_digging

i think most of the benefit is from aeration think about those "smart pots"

it may be the bigger deeper pots like 15 gallon size are same benefit of more root surface area etc.

Back