• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Growing Plants Indoors

Hello all,

I live in Utah, so first off we have long crappy cold winters. Not exactly conducive to growing pepper plants. I have a buddy of mine that grows a garden every year, but grows mostly tabasco peppers to make his sauce. I want to grow Habs and scotch bonnets, and other hot peppers. I want to get a jump on him and start growing the plants in my house. Is this possible?

Mojo,

Except for users like AJ and those from other areas far south of the Mason-Dixon line, we all have crappy winters. In fact, Webster describes winter as: "A crappy time of the year for those who want to grow plants outside" or something like that!

Start plants now (since last week has passed) and use cheap shop lights, bay windows, whatever to give them enough light and heat to sprout and grow a bit. Come spring and Frost Free Day (May 15 here) you'll have plants that are hardy and able to produce pods before Jack Frost visits.

Good luck on your endeavor!

Mike

Search around for the dope growers sites, they have the best information out there for growing indoors. For some reason, they dont like growing outside. Weird. Anyway, they are more than happy to tell everyone their secrets, unlike most other growers.

wordwiz said:
Mojo,

Except for users like AJ and those from other areas far south of the Mason-Dixon line, we all have crappy winters. In fact, Webster describes winter as: "A crappy time of the year for those who want to grow plants outside" or something like that!

Mike

It was 83 degrees F today. I went and played disc golf :)

Txclosetgrower said:
It was 83 degrees F today. I went and played disc golf :)

Tx,

Shooting evil glares your way!!! Though I can't complain, just yet. We got above 45 degrees today, which is great at this time of the year.

Just waiting for those sub-zero days. Yeah, I hate them but they do serve a purpose - sending those creatures with stingers deeper into the ground.

Mike

Mojo just browse around and you will see that major percent of us start growing the seedlings in doors and be ready before the stores are. lol I started seeds this weekend and probably get some more started here shortly before the moon changes. I like the old farmers almanac way.

So what do I need to get started? What kind of cost can I expect, and how much space will I need.....Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

MOJO said:
So what do I need to get started? What kind of cost can I expect, and how much space will I need.....Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Biggest cost is going to be lighting. You can get CFLs, fluorescent tubes, or HID(high pressure sodium or metal halide) grow lights. HID is best & brightest, but cost more and put out more heat, CFLs and fluorescents are a bit cheaper but put out less light and a less heat.

You'll have to decide between soil and hydro.

And you'll need some sort of fan, preferably oscillating for both pollenation and strengthening of stems.

All in all you can get started for 100-200 bucks, depending on how many plants you want to grow and what equipment you choose.

But look at all the pot growing sites, they'll have tons of guides for DIY projects, lots of blueprints for building indoor grow boxes.

Txclosetgrower said:
All in all you can get started for 100-200 bucks, depending on how many plants you want to grow and what equipment you choose.

Hey TX,

I started about 55 pepper plants last year and if I had to buy the lights (I had one) my total cost would have been about $40. That includes the potting soil and containers.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Hey TX,

I started about 55 pepper plants last year and if I had to buy the lights (I had one) my total cost would have been about $40. That includes the potting soil and containers.

Mike

There are different costs with starting plants and actually growing plants throughout their whole lifecycle indoors. You need a lot more light to do the latter if you have more than a couple plants. And hell I just spent half that on a bag of coco.

I would like to grow maybe 30 or 40 plants. Unfortunately I dont have any south facing windows.

Txclosetgrower said:
There are different costs with starting plants and actually growing plants throughout their whole lifecycle indoors. You need a lot more light to do the latter if you have more than a couple plants. And hell I just spent half that on a bag of coco.

TX,

No doubt. Me, I'll start plants indoors and once the weather warms u, move them outside. But come late summer, I will start more plants to grow indoors. This crap of not having fresh toms or lettuce to eat in November, December and January needs to end!

Don't know what to tell you about the coco. I've been presented with the idea of supplying at least 2700 tom plants to a chain store. The seeds alone will cost a bunch more than I spent on everything last year. But the profit if I can pull this off....

Mike

MOJO said:
I would like to grow maybe 30 or 40 plants. Unfortunately I dont have any south facing windows.

I went back and re-read your first post, looks like you just want to get them started. You should be able to get away with a few of those shop light fluorescent fixtures (the 4 foot ones). They're like 20 bucks a piece, and will work well enough for starting plants.

I bought a cheap shop light $9.99, with bulbs. Cactus potting soil, $2.99, a squirt bottle $1.99 and some 4 dollar plant food! With some styrofoam coffee cups, the skies the limit!!!
Now how many would you like to grow?

I think about 20-30 plants. It is a must that I grow some ho hot peppers. A friend of mine has been growing tabasco and jalapenos, with the occasional habanero for the last few years. He has referred to me as the spectator, because I havent grown anything......I want to get a jump on the pepper growing.

Two shop lights will easily get the plants large enough to move outside once spring arrives.

I would suggest you plan ahead and either collect rain water/snow or if you use tap water, fill a bucket and let it sit for a couple of days. Also, bottom water, at least most times. This will cause the roots to fill the bottom of the container rather than growing on the top.

Also be on the lookout for the bane of all pepper growers - aphids. A single bug can become hundreds in a few days.

Mike

Back