• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds growing seeds...

im running out of room and i just finished filling up another dome of seeds... the problem is i havent figured out where to put it so they can get a good amount of light...

here's the q...

do the seeds really need the light ? can they be kept anywhere if the heat is good enough ?

as soon as i see any kind of sprouting i will move it under some flo tubes... do you think they would be ok without light until they sprout ? im thinking maybe a week or so before i can get another ballast and flo tubes...

Hotpeppa,

Think about it - your seeds are covered with dirt. Even if you turn the lights on, they won't get any of it.

I try to determine when my seeds will sprout and have them under lights when they do but it usually takes mine about a week since I don't keep the soil real warm.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Hotpeppa,

Think about it - your seeds are covered with dirt. Even if you turn the lights on, they won't get any of it.

I try to determine when my seeds will sprout and have them under lights when they do but it usually takes mine about a week since I don't keep the soil real warm.

Mike

Pam said:
What Mike said.

Well excuuuuse me !

:rolleyes:

What if it's used as a heat source?:?: :idea:: Remember not all people have been growing peppers forever. NO question is a dumb one!:( Only dumb answers....:lol:

joeknowsjolokia said:
What if it's used as a heat source?:?: :idea:: Remember not all people have been growing peppers forever. NO question is a dumb one!:( Only dumb answers....:lol:

I think the answer was friendly and informative as it explained why lights aren't needed. Answers will be few and far between if they are called dumb.

just my $.02

joeknowsjolokia said:

Seeds do need warmth, so if you're using your lights for heat as well as lumens, by all means turn turn them on. I took the original question to mean do they need light to germinate, and pepper seeds do not need light to germinate.

Pam said:
Seeds do need warmth, so if you're using your lights for heat as well as lumens, by all means turn turn them on. I took the original question to mean do they need light to germinate, and pepper seeds do not need light to germinate.
:)
I just didn't want anybodies feelings hurt!:P

joeknowsjolokia said:
:)
I just didn't want anybodies feelings hurt!:P

Hey Dude,

thanks for the concern but its all good... i was saying ' well excuse me ' with a smile...

people here are generally always cool and polite and very informative...

But saying that... you are right about asking questions.. ask away because not everyone has the common sense with growing.. i sure dont.. this is my first year growing from seed, so its all new for me... I started because i got a little inspired from people here at this forum, its a good one ! so ask questions, learn something new and get excited.. its a great little hobby... :lol:

I use lights above the pots as heat source for germinating seeds. Plus, once they do break the soil the light is already there so no stretching.

I have a big square seed starting greenhouse thing that I just sit my fluorescent lights directly on top of. Keeps it good and warm.

Not trying to hijack your tread but along the same lines. I am going to start a lot more seed this year and will not have enough room under the lights I currently have when I pot them up in to cups. If I can start them a little later and keep them in their seed starting tray until they go outside I'll be able to have all the seedling I'll want. I have 72 cell seed trays filled with seed starting mix and want to know what is the longest anybody has keep their seedling in that tray before moving them. I have 4 trays and would love to have 288 seedlings come the first of April, no way I'll have room for even 100 in cups. Just trying to time when to start. Thanks.

I use lights for heat in my germinator. Seems to work well since it keeps the temp 82-86F (or whatever I set the thermostat on).

This year, I decided to stagger my plantings. I started a tray on the 9th, one on the 12th, and will start two this evening, (20th). Last year I started 8 trays the last weekend in January and 8 trays the end of February. When it came transplant time, I took me 3-4 days to complete the transplant. This year, I figure with staggered planting, I will have it a little easier come transplant time.

First two trays were Chinense. Trays today will be Chinense and Chinense/Pubescens/Frutescens. I will wait until the middle of February to plant the annuums since they grow so fast...

I haven't made up my mind if I am going to plant backups this year or not...I was glad I had them last year.

Well everyone !

i checked out my trays about five minutes ago and i am the proud owner of 5 Dorset Naga's all five popped up in the middle of the night.. 5 seeds, 5 little bad boys !

very exciting...

i wonder why only the Dorset popped up ?... no signs of anything else in the tray...

im assuming that the Naga has a quicker rate ? maybe the seeds were good ?

Hotpeppa said:
Well everyone !

i checked out my trays about five minutes ago and i am the proud owner of 5 Dorset Naga's all five popped up in the middle of the night.. 5 seeds, 5 little bad boys !

very exciting...

i wonder why only the Dorset popped up ?... no signs of anything else in the tray...

im assuming that the Naga has a quicker rate ? maybe the seeds were good ?

My Dorset Nagas (hippyseed) came out pretty quick too. They look to be my strongest and tallest seedlings so far. Both my Aji Lemons keeled over though. I think I left the dome on too long. Even though it has holes punched for air, it probably is keeping it too moist once seedlings come. The moisture probably just helps germination. I guess I need to start putting these 2 inch seedlings into some cups now. This is my 1st year using a dome and heat mat - also growing so many different varieties.

bigt said:
My Dorset Nagas (hippyseed) came out pretty quick too. They look to be my strongest and tallest seedlings so far. Both my Aji Lemons keeled over though. I think I left the dome on too long. Even though it has holes punched for air, it probably is keeping it too moist once seedlings come. The moisture probably just helps germination. I guess I need to start putting these 2 inch seedlings into some cups now. This is my 1st year using a dome and heat mat - also growing so many different varieties.

i was just going to ask that actually... should i be transplanting them into bigger pots... they sprouted about an inch maybe a inch 1/2... i just dont want the moisture to kill them...

what should i do ?

Back