• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing some tasty stuff

20210905_135531.jpg

I really miss having these colorful babies in my kitchen. That, together with a very persistent gardening itch that has been bothering me since early December, made me give in.

Here's to my first Glog and starting seeds just a tad bit early. πŸ₯³

My set up is not as neat or organized as what I've been seeing here, as I've collected quite some different shaped seed trays over the years and have plenty of mismatching pots to go with that. πŸ˜€ Everything is set up for this growing season in the garage windowsill, making the garage my current happy place now that it's out.

Experience has thought me it's best if I start closer to the end of January, beginning of February, but hey, there's no fun in doing everything by the book, right? I've organized my seeds, reorganized them again and now there's nothing left to do.

20230101_124230.jpg

So I've started the germination of a few seeds (one of each kind, I'm trying to restrain myself...) with the help of the Deno method and I planted a few in soil. Put them on a heating mat to make sure they're comfortable.

Deno method, to see if these seeds are still viable: Brandleka, Turkish kill - unknown variety, Corbaci and a Mistery pepper. As well as some Cocona fruit and Leonotis leonurus.

In soil:
20230101_140408.jpg

Now what do I do with the coming days? ☺️

Last edited:
Way to early, but oh so satisfying, that first hook. Nevertheless, I'll be sowing the real bulk more to the end of this month.

Last edited:
It's been about 13 days and I thoroughly inspected the seeds I am trying to get to germinate with the Deno method. I do admit I might qualify for some kind of impatient personality disorder, but seeing nothing happen for either of those six seeds is bothersome. It's a hard knock life, isn't it? πŸ˜„

I just now put the Leonotis leonurus (I know, not a pepper, it's the odd one out) in the fridge. I've read they can benefit from a cold streak. Fingers crossed.

The seeds that were put in soil are pretty much ignoring me as well, apart from the two that sprouted rather fast. Those two are doing really well, so I'm counting my blessings.

Let's hope my germination rate will improve when I'm starting the real work. Till then, I might tweak my light and temperature settings just a tiny bit, to see if that'll change anything.

My allotment neighbour moved out and left me his polytunnel. I planned on placing it next to the one I already have, to create more room for my peppers to thrive.

So I went to go and collect it today...
20230113_115705.jpg

It's on solid ground again. I am such a badass. This is me now:
20230113_123729.jpg

Well this is the problem which will be the lucky seed plucked from hundreds - it's going to be something that I won't worry too much about if it dies on me :rofl:
And yes, I know, slippery slope and all that. I'm already thinking it's a waste of energy just to put 1 seed in the incubator

@tink I felt guilty as well, using the energy for the heated mat. I solved this by planting a total of five seeds in soil. Just to ease my mind. πŸ˜‡

I've started placing single seeds or seed cells on top of my WiFi router - works great as a heating mat without any additional energy usage. :)

I'm going to join you in the wet and muddy corner - got rained on and covered in mud from dogs.
It's a good excuse to have a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit to make me feel better about life and career choices :lol:

Put some more seeds in soil today. The flesh is weak. My future self is already telling me 'I told you so', standing by the window sill filled with plants that can't yet be planted out in the garden.

20230115_165533.jpg

The good news is, my set-up in the cold garage is holding up pretty good temp wise. I isolated the bottom and put a tunnel over the seed tray, heat mat underneath and it worked like a charm. 🀌

20230114_161434.jpg

Back