• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing some tasty stuff

20210905_135531.jpg

I really miss having these colorful babies in my kitchen. That, together with a very persistent gardening itch that has been bothering me since early December, made me give in.

Here's to my first Glog and starting seeds just a tad bit early. 🥳

My set up is not as neat or organized as what I've been seeing here, as I've collected quite some different shaped seed trays over the years and have plenty of mismatching pots to go with that. 😀 Everything is set up for this growing season in the garage windowsill, making the garage my current happy place now that it's out.

Experience has thought me it's best if I start closer to the end of January, beginning of February, but hey, there's no fun in doing everything by the book, right? I've organized my seeds, reorganized them again and now there's nothing left to do.

20230101_124230.jpg

So I've started the germination of a few seeds (one of each kind, I'm trying to restrain myself...) with the help of the Deno method and I planted a few in soil. Put them on a heating mat to make sure they're comfortable.

Deno method, to see if these seeds are still viable: Brandleka, Turkish kill - unknown variety, Corbaci and a Mistery pepper. As well as some Cocona fruit and Leonotis leonurus.

In soil:
20230101_140408.jpg

Now what do I do with the coming days? ☺️

Last edited:
Everyone has their own way of doing things, I start feeding my rocotos(and every thing else for that matter) half strength nutrients once they show their first true leaves. You don't have to soak the little guys, I use a syringe and give them 1.5 to 3 ml right around the base. Increase the dose after they get a few sets of leaves. Others may disagree but it has worked for me.

Still not sure. I thought maybe radishes or lettuce, but the leaves seem to take on another form. I really need to give them some of their own light, if only to see what they grow up to be.

I was toying around with my seed box, which contains way to many seeds for almost every month of the year...

I have no idea really which seeds got thrown in the potting mix by accident.

The seedlings really need some light, otherwise they won't make it, leggy as they are already. Maybe I'll try and tinker something together for them tonight.

Purely hypothetical, say you've started of the season a tad bit early and your first-born has gotten ahead of itself as well and you need to wait about two more months (at least) before you can plant anything outside, what would you do? Would you nip it in the bud?

Asking for a friend. 😇

20230226_170928.jpg

Somehow I've run out of space for my seedlings already. The garage window sill is full, as is the small, teeny tiny propagator in the attic. Not sure how that happened. (Mind you, I need to start almost everything for the regular veggie garden.)

I've placed the eight biggest plants (can't really call them seedlings anymore) in the kitchen window sill with a south facing window. Mr. Ratat was not amused. So much in fact, that I may have gotten an out of sight corner in the attic as a round the year, official and designated seedling area. 😍

Guess who's browsing second hand grow tents on the local, Dutch Craigslist?

Back