• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Yellow Jolokias....any tips?

I managed to get 12 yellow Jolokia seeds, I never saw yellow Bhuts before. I got 2 seedlings out of 6 seeds planted. They are now 10 weeks old and only 3in tall. And the leaves have a light bronze tinge to them.
Is anyone growing this yellow variety, and know if this is normal for this variety? I am in south Fla, so it is vegetable growing time, and I protected them during the cold spell we had last week. While they are growing fine, I can't seem to get any height out of them. Are they normally this short at this age:?: While we are finally not in the high 80's to 90's constantly at the moment, they get full sun all day, high quality soil and fertilizer.
The other hot peppers that I am growing are about a month older, and nearly a foot tall. Still short, but blooming and fruiting. I am growing a few, 'Lemon Drop',' 'Bhut Jolokia', 'Naga Morrich'', and 'Fatalii' peppers.
Is this yellow Jolokia worth growing? I mean is it a different taste, more heat, or anything. Is it normal for it to be so short at this age? And to have a bronze tinge on the newest leaves? Any tips to get these shorties to get tall and to bloom and fruit:?: Thanks for some hints...maybe some pictures if anyone has some older ones???

Ok first of all I hate you for complaining about 80's and 90's in January. Ok now that I have that off my chest. I am trying to get some of those seeds as we speak. I can't help, but we can compare notes later this year. Seriously, welcome to THP and it's very cool that you are growing some very interesting choices. Good luck.

Welcome Bhutlvr,

The only one on this forum to have successfully grown pods and plants is the source, DavesDragonDust. I just started growing them so you can compare yours to mine which are over a month old and short also. I grow using outdoor sun too. Perhaps the short daylight hours and cool weather is affecting their growth. The dried pod sample that dave sent me was pretty tasty and hot so it seems worth growing. There are other people growing these bhuts so maybe we'll see more pics and progress. Good luck.

ybhut03.jpg

The one on the lower right is actually a week younger than other three.
ybhut04.jpg

Back