• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Growth issue and bug ID

At the risk of playing plant doctor and killing my patients, I've noticed some of the growth on my plants is becoming distorted again. I've been doing weekly feedings of fish emulsion, Liquid Karma, and a bit of CalMag Plus somewhat infrequently. I just gave the plants a deep watering a few days ago, so I'm wondering if I flushed something from the soil. The ones showing it worst are the Tabasco:

IMGP0668.jpg

As for this guy, I've seen him buzzing around my garden the past few days. My first guess would be that he's a moth of some kind, but he never stays still for more than a couple seconds and it's been difficult to get a decent look. Any idea what it is?
IMGP0680.jpg

IMGP0677.jpg

IMGP0674.jpg

Now my Thai is showing it too. Why only the frutescens seem to be affected by this, I don't know... the new growth is highly distorted to the point that some of the veins actually appear rippled.

IMGP0718.jpg

IMGP0719.jpg

Too much nitrogen can do this.the leafs that is cupping downward is more worrying. Mites does that.

Too much nitrogen can do this.the leafs that is cupping downward is more worrying. Mites does that.

I suppose it's possible. I haven't exactly been carefully measuring out my ferts... and guesstimating isn't in my skill set.

Oh, mites. Will neem oil take care of them, or should I up the ante? :hell:

Yep that's a moth alright and I wouldn't worry about him eating your plants.

For the deformed leaves that's mites for sure. Don't know about the neem oil working for them though. Probably get rid of the ones living on the plants now but nothing for the eggs and next crew of critters hoping to move in. Neem doesn't have any staying power so be prepared to use it repeatedly.

Good luck.

Well, at the risk of destabilizing my predatory insect population (Ladybugs have finally established themselves, and lately I've been finding some pirate bugs and parasitic wasps around), I think I'll look into biological controls. Any idea what species control mites?

Look to see if you have any silvery-looking dead spots on your leaves - that's an sign of mites. They suck the juices out of the leaf, and kill that area in the process.

Also may see some fine spider-web on the underside of severely infested leaves, depending on the variety of mites.

I've got some homemade spray I came up with that works great for mites - unfortunately, it kills a lot of other bugs as well, so probably not a good idea for your ladybugs!

If you confirm that they are indeed mites, and are looking for a biological control, I know they have something called "predatory mites" - they don't eat pepper plants, just other mites! ;)

Another possibility is disease - there is a virus that can make pepper leaves grow like that! I once had a plant that looked similar - it kept growing like that for a while, but eventually died. I isolated it from my other pepper plants, and thankfully, I have not seen a re-occurrence since. :)

Look to see if you have any silvery-looking dead spots on your leaves - that's an sign of mites. They suck the juices out of the leaf, and kill that area in the process.

Also may see some fine spider-web on the underside of severely infested leaves, depending on the variety of mites.

I've got some homemade spray I came up with that works great for mites - unfortunately, it kills a lot of other bugs as well, so probably not a good idea for your ladybugs!

If you confirm that they are indeed mites, and are looking for a biological control, I know they have something called "predatory mites" - they don't eat pepper plants, just other mites! ;)

Another possibility is disease - there is a virus that can make pepper leaves grow like that! I once had a plant that looked similar - it kept growing like that for a while, but eventually died. I isolated it from my other pepper plants, and thankfully, I have not seen a re-occurrence since. :)

Probably not a bad idea to isolate them just in case. The fact that it's species-specific right now is disconcerting.

I tried tapping the leaves over a piece of paper and looked around carefully with a jewelers loupe (being a geologist I conveniently have one on hand at all times), but nothing resembling mites. A few stray aphids, a couple thrips around the flowers, but that's all I've found that stands out. Leaves are looking healthy otherwise. No sign of webbing either.

Probably not a bad idea to isolate them just in case. The fact that it's species-specific right now is disconcerting.
Hmm, agreed.

Tabasco is particularly susceptible to disease - I tried TWICE to grow it here, and the natural diseases prevalent here in Texas (that would only be a minor nuisance for most other varieties) killed it off in short order both times! :(

In fact, IIRC the Tabasco Sauce company was almost put out of business one year due to disease wiping-out their peppers!

This is why I have "Greenleaf Tabasco" listed in my Trade List thread.;) This variety was invented by (no kidding!) a guy named Dr. Greenleaf :rolleyes: , and was specifically designed as a disease-resistant version of the Tabasco pepper!

It's creation is likely why you can still buy Tabasco Sauce today. ;)

You might also find the following tidbit of interest...

While talking about one of the diseases Tabasco is vulnerable to, Tobacco Etch Virus (TEV) -

"In the field the virus is spread by aphids which account for the high percentage of infected plants. The unique wilt reaction of Tabasco has since proved to be diagnostic for TEV"
You may also find this document of interest -

http://repo.lib.auburn.edu/repo/bitstream/handle/123456789/1250/0372LEAF.pdf?sequence=1

It was published by Audburn University, and discusses the disease susceptibility of Tabasco plants, as well as the creation of the new "Greenleaf" variety! :cool:

But I would definitely consider isolating those plants now - particularly from any other frutescens!

Any chance you or a neighbor sprayed something to kill weeds? Could it be herbicide drift?

"Herbicide Injury. Herbicide injury can occur on chile plants as a result of spray drift from target weeds near the chile, or from the use of contaminated spray containers. Even a small amount of the chemical can cause severe injury.

The type of damage that occurs is depends somewhat dependant on the herbicide. Two of the more common herbicides that damage chile are 2,4-D and Paraquat®. 2,4-D and related compounds such as 2,4,5-T and MCPA cause severe distortion of the foliage (fig. 27). Developing leaves become narrow with raised veins. Older leaves are also distorted and the leaf margins may become wavy. Leaves receiving a high dosage of the chemical develop into filiform leaves (i.e., leaves composed almost entirely of midrib, with little tissue development). Premature flower drop and the development of adventitious roots along the lower stems are also symptoms of 2,4-D injury. Paraquat® injury appears as small, circular white-to-tan lesions on affected leaves. Numerous lesions on one leaf may coalesce, causing irregular large, necrotic areas and eventual leaf drop."

Taken from New Mexico State University...Link Here!

Another link about herbicide damage.

Any chance you or a neighbor sprayed something to kill weeds? Could it be herbicide drift?

"Herbicide Injury. Herbicide injury can occur on chile plants as a result of spray drift from target weeds near the chile, or from the use of contaminated spray containers. Even a small amount of the chemical can cause severe injury.

The type of damage that occurs is depends somewhat dependant on the herbicide. Two of the more common herbicides that damage chile are 2,4-D and Paraquat®. 2,4-D and related compounds such as 2,4,5-T and MCPA cause severe distortion of the foliage (fig. 27). Developing leaves become narrow with raised veins. Older leaves are also distorted and the leaf margins may become wavy. Leaves receiving a high dosage of the chemical develop into filiform leaves (i.e., leaves composed almost entirely of midrib, with little tissue development). Premature flower drop and the development of adventitious roots along the lower stems are also symptoms of 2,4-D injury. Paraquat® injury appears as small, circular white-to-tan lesions on affected leaves. Numerous lesions on one leaf may coalesce, causing irregular large, necrotic areas and eventual leaf drop."

Taken from New Mexico State University...Link Here!

Another link about herbicide damage.

You know, that sounds like everything that has been affecting my peppers this year... and it's true, while I've never seen my neighbor use an herbicide, his lawn and garden are pristine and he's anal retentive when it comes to its care... pretty sure he hires outside help to upkeep his lawn during the day, so I've never actually been around when it was mowed/sprayed... could explain why the peppers on the other side of the yard haven't had any problems.

And naturally prevailing winds blow right into my chilies from his yard.

Hmm. Maybe I'll talk with him. Easy enough fix if that's the case.

Alright, I figured I'd post a few more pictures of the damage for anyone else who happens to be suffering from the squiggle and searches the forums. At this point I can't definitely say what it is, but I suppose I could treat for mites just to be safe... incidentally, how does one treat for mites?

Anyway, a few pics, from most to least affected by whatever this is:

IMGP0738.jpg

IMGP0745.jpg

IMGP0744.jpg

IMGP0740.jpg

IMGP0746.jpg

Could be a combination of things with my luck.

Back