• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grrrrr.... Complete Rip-Off!

Here's what's got me fired up:

I saw this posted in a Chilli Fanatic group on Facebook. I haven't included the bloke who posted it.

Anyway, here's my problems:

1) "New World's Hottest Chilli" makes it sound like its official, which is a load of s##t. There is no way that it could possibly arise as even being a potential candidate with out so much as a murmur. I googled it, and not one single entry came up.

2) "It's F1 and 90% stable" This is ridiculous. This statement shows that it is in no way official, due to the isolation rule. And 90% stable my ass! There are hybrids that are 100% stable at F1 and don't keep true in further generations, so how is a 90% stable F1 that some guy's tested in a "dodgy backyard lab" meant to keep true to form? And besides, how can you have a F1 that is 90% stable? From my understanding of genetics, that just doesn't make sense, unless you are crossing like, a dozen different breeds. 

3) "Tested in some guys dodgy backyard lab" I assume that this is referring to the rigorous testing required to determine the average SHU of the chilli. How the hell can you assert a claim to the world hottest chilli based only on "dodgy" tests done by some clueless bloke with a Frankenstein hybrid? Even if all else is true, I highly doubt that the peak really is at 3.8 million SHU if the testing was done in a "dodgy backyard lab"

4) "10 pack of seeds are going for $250 and you pay delivery" This is an absolute rip off. Pure and simple. When I read this, I knew immediately that the whole thing was a pile of baloney. There is no way in the world that there are any seeds from an unstable hybrid that was tested in a backyard lab worth $250. That's an absolute joke. I really doubt Reaper Seeds were going for that much when it first came about, and I doubt that the "Dragon's Breath" or "BorbHut" seeds will be that much, regardless of whether or not they are crowed the world's hottest.

5) "Can only be purchased through ebay" This seals the deal for me. We preach to all new-comers to avoid ebay at all costs, as it is mostly dodgy. There are some cases of decency when buying through there, but there is an overwhelming amount of ploys as dodgy as this one. Imagine if there is a person newly interested in growing chillies, and has no experiencing in buying seeds. They go to ebay to see if there is anything available, and see this, the "world's hottest chilli" They have no experience, and so think that $250 must be a reasonable price to pay fro the world's hottest, and buy it, only to discover that the chillies are nothing like that advertised, and swears away chillies for life.

This whole post makes me tremble to the bones with fury, something that does not happen to me very often.

End of Rant, thanks for putting up with me!

On a more positive note, the opening pun was completely unintended, and I didn't notice it until proof reading. Haha!

Yeah, as hogleg said, this definitely looks like the guy was trying to make a joke about buying junk seeds from eBay. Looks like he was just doing some trolling, lol.

9nohQh4.jpg

Back