• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies GUNS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reloaders here? I have a question

I haven't actually done anything yet, so this is just to understand (haven't found primers)

Based on the book measurements for powder in, for example, a .357 magnum shell, it seems to me like it's actually not very full at all - a lot of space left. How full do they end up? Am I just totally not understanding something?

Finaly got some primers this week.
Depends what powder you use, if you use tightgroup, then you will have more space. Bullseye my preferred powder, you have less space in their.
I dont use the books anymore, too much fluctuation, go to the bullet manufacturer and read their powder loads.

I haven't actually done anything yet, so this is just to understand (haven't found primers)

Based on the book measurements for powder in, for example, a .357 magnum shell, it seems to me like it's actually not very full at all - a lot of space left. How full do they end up? Am I just totally not understanding something?

That's normal. Remember the base of the bullet inserted into the case takes up room too. The only time I've seen the powder close to the rim so that the bullet actually compressed it was when loading 9mm major rounds for IPSC/USPSA pistols specifically designed to shoot them. It's a pain to load because a little powder jumps out of the casings as they leave the power charge station in a progressive press (like Dillon XL 650), even when modified to run more smoothly.

But in conventional pistol rounds, the power is normally loose inside the casings even after the bullet and crimp dies do their work. Start low according to the reloading manuals, and then gradually increase the load to get the best accuracy and inflight behaviour. A chronograph is really useful. You shouldn't exceed the listed maximum load because the risk of breaking something (including yourself) increases past that point, especially with very fast powder. To get the most out of your range time, it's a good practice to bring several different loads to test out at a time. I usually bring 50 rounds or more of each of the experimental loads I'm testing so it's a full day for me.

IMG_3013_38Campro-800.jpg

The 38 spl round was originally a black powder round way back when it was designed. It took a lot more black powder to do what smokeless can do. Fast forward to the creation of the 357 mag and the developers decided to make the case .1" longer to differentiate them. That is why the case is so large. It is no harm to leave the case mostly empty. The primer will still ignite the powder even if it is 80% empty. Make sure you follow the loading manual and you will be fine.

I've been itching to trade in my LCP II for the LCP MAX. Or maybe I'll keep the II and just buy the MAX.. Hmm.. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back