• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

It has begun. 

16563369765_d2fd29898e_b.jpg

Keeping the peppers to around 20 different varieties this season but sowing extra for some friends. First tray of peppers is:

[SIZE=8pt]PEPPER TRAY                                   *1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Aji Omnicolor[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Brown Moruga[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Caramel Bih Jolokia[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Coyote Zan White[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Florida Wild[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Joefish Bhut[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Jonah Seven[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Jonah Yellow Seven[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Ma Wiri Wiri[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Mustard Bhut[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Orange Blob[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Orange Monzano[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Orange Thai[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Papa Joe's Market Scotch Bonnet[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Red Rican Rocoto[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Yellow Bedder[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Yellow Jalapeno[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=8pt]Yellow Rican Rocoto[/SIZE]​
 ​
 ​

I'll also be germing some Large Orange Thai for the Grow Down, and one other variety that I haven't decided on yet. 

Second tray is sowed with herbs, cold season greens, etc. 

Will be prepping the garden plot as soon as I get a break in this cold, nasty weather. 

That's a cool picture.

"Coyote Zan White" sounds like the name of a guy you might find who had been a roadie for a psychedelic rock band in the 60's who had some interesting stories to tell.  Or the name of a pepper.

Pulpiteer said:
That's a cool picture.

"Coyote Zan White" sounds like the name of a guy you might find who had been a roadie for a psychedelic rock band in the 60's who had some interesting stories to tell.  Or the name of a pepper.

ronniedeb said:
Great to see your season start Guru. I'm also growing Coyote Zan White this year. A pretty pepper. 
Yeah! Prodigal Son turned me on to them and sent me a lovely carepackage. I'm growing out everything he sent this year - some absolutely wonderful peppers to grow, eat and photograph! There are some real beauties on the list this year :) 

Nice list you have going Guru. Seems to be following the popular trend of not too many super hots this year. I see you are germinating monanos in Feb. Have you done this before because it seems a little late for them but I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

How is the new record coming? I haven't seen anything new on this in a couple of months. I've really been getting back to being semi serious with my axe this last year or so. I put it down for many years (like 20) while life got in the way. Good to be back into the music thing.

Portuge said:
Here we go brother, best of luck this season.
  thank you! Same to you!
Roguejim said:
Good luck with the Ma Wiri Wiri!  I'm growing 2 this season.  I want to make this:  http://www.inner-gourmet.com/2011/01/west-indian-pepper-sauce.html
 mmmm looks good!  
Jeff H said:
Nice list you have going Guru. Seems to be following the popular trend of not too many super hots this year. I see you are germinating monanos in Feb. Have you done this before because it seems a little late for them but I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

How is the new record coming? I haven't seen anything new on this in a couple of months. I've really been getting back to being semi serious with my axe this last year or so. I put it down for many years (like 20) while life got in the way. Good to be back into the music thing.
I'm pretty confident I can get em to fruit plenty ;) they are frost and cool weather tolerant so overwintering should be fun if things run too long. Ha usually I'm determining my length of grow season for other plants, not peppers ;)
Dude, album release was a huge success! Getting some really positive feedback. In case you haven't seen it, here's the video for our first single. I wrote, directed and filmed the piece. Check it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCn9esNITg

Very nice to see you grow some rocotos, can't wait to see them!

I did rocoto rellenos with frozen imported rocotos last year and man were they good and spicy; but I sure hope to redo it with some fresh ripe rocotos by the end of the summer :)

I must confess you inspired me to sew my own fabric pots and convert to organic growing. The pots have paid off its awesome. This summer I will bring em to the community garden and but em between the raised bed rows

Awesome music and video BTW!

Keep growing, I love it
Teurf

Stopped by Wayright's tonight to drop off his growdown care package from 2014. One hell of a grower and super cool dude. Got some large orange thai seedlings and he sent me home with THIS!  :party:

16119868183_40b167b86e_b.jpg

Pure culinary art here. The aroma in my kitchen is wonderful right now. I will thoroughly enjoy creating dishes with these this spring! Kevin you da man! The little while I got to stay, was awesome. I'll be back for sure. 

Back