• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

I remembered you saying you were using it before. I thought it was all the time. I guess that would get prettttty tiresome after a while if you're the one developing the film.

Cool shots either way. Thanks!

able eye said:
I remembered you saying you were using it before. I thought it was all the time. I guess that would get prettttty tiresome after a while if you're the one developing the film.

Cool shots either way. Thanks!
It would! While film is superior, digital photography makes things much more convenient. I develop my own film, but have pretty much retired my film cameras until the day I really need them. On certain trips, or days where I want to take my time shooting something special. It would get crazy if I had to develop every shot I've done on digital! ha  :eek:

Loving the leaves on this Jonah Seven! Huge heart shaped elephant ears :)

16182017324_756cfb8ac8_b.jpg

Threw a few video clips together as a quick test of my workflow in premiere. Got lots to learn yet! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1NEZ8wjoH0 

My seedling mix this year is pretty simple: 

Peat, Coir, Vermiculite and Worm Castings.

Watering with water from the koi pond :)

able eye said:
There a reason you dont fill your pots at least close to the top?
Yes. A few reasons really. Once they bulk up a little, after the first week or so, I top off with fresh soil and the base stem then grows anchor roots into the new medium. Gives them a sturdy trunk to grow big on!  Helps with stretch and the small pots immediately being top heavy, also helps contain my water within the pot when they are younger, rather than spilling over the lip and into the trays. 

D3monic said:
Looking really good
Thanks! Things are moving pretty quickly now. Tomorrow marks one month from seeds hitting dirt. With everything now potted up and out of those starting trays, its blast off time. In two weeks, they will have tripled in size. I know this Georgia weather still has one last frosty trick up her sleeve so its another month indoors under the lights, then a month in the green house, and finally out into the garden after that! 

Pepper-Guru said:
Yes. A few reasons really. Once they bulk up a little, after the first week or so, I top off with fresh soil and the base stem then grows anchor roots into the new medium. Gives them a sturdy trunk to grow big on!  Helps with stretch and the small pots immediately being top heavy, also helps contain my water within the pot when they are younger, rather than spilling over the lip and into the trays. 

Oh wow. I'm gonna do this next season. Cool tip :D

Nice starts btw!

Nice video Guru. Seedlings look great, as does your soil mix. Is it a very fine vermiculite you use?
this time around yes, I was near the bottom of the bag so most of it was much finer than the average consistency. Works out for well enough for young seedlings :)

Pepper-Guru said:
Blended up some vintage 2008 Mean Green Fatalii tonight. Even after all this time, these peppers are as hot as the day they went into the jars! Burnt Mrs. Guru up pretty bad just now! haha 

16218959143_f426c0bac9_b.jpg

16813038116_5af8aa5aeb_b.jpg

Looks fantastic man! SIAP, but what's the upside to using aged peppers? Is there a flavor impact similar to wine or something? Are there any special requirements for aging peppers to avoid spoilage? 

dustonj2008 said:

Looks fantastic man! SIAP, but what's the upside to using aged peppers? Is there a flavor impact similar to wine or something? Are there any special requirements for aging peppers to avoid spoilage? 
Very good question and I'm actually surprised more people don't know about this. The upside to using aged peppers and vinegar is akin to the difference between a whiskey fresh out of the still and one that's been aged for 18+ years. Or wine, or beer (one that benefits from ageing, of course), or vinegar, or any other product where aging greatly improves flavor, aroma, etc. As for spoilage, there isn't a such thing. Vinegar is very acidic and anything that can live in it is good for you. It's a NATURAL preservative :) 
and the base for essentially all traditional hot pepper sauces 

Update time! 

Can't wait for this Coyote Zan White! I LOVE white varieties!

16858169185_682f41e239_b.jpg

If you haven't seen this plant when mature and full of fruit it really is something to behold. Here's one of Prodigal Son's plants at maturity! WOW

14715450628_ac58693d63_c.jpg

14715564637_92fbf8459a_c.jpg

I can tell the seedlings are really digging their soil mix this season. Already seeing lots of internodal branching - 

Yellow Jalapeno nodal branching 
16857021402_71e75df200_b.jpg

The greens bed in the greenhouse is sprouting pretty good. 

16238204673_3960e24fe1_b.jpg

AND I have a new horde of garden workers/fertilizers just itching to make it out to the compost pile! 

16858167965_9ed5b62484_b.jpg

Back