• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Very nice, @Pepper-Guru. I really enjoy your travelogue videos.

One question, where does the c. eshbaughii fit into
the eximium complex, if at all? Maybe some other
place in the capsicum genealogy?

Stunning. All that needs to be said.
Thanks dude!
Nice job P really shows the beauty of Bolivia not just the plants.
The photography and both closeup,drone was spot on.👍
It’s an amazing place with really wonderful people. I’m always overwhelmed with how much humanity still exists in this world, despite what we see on tv.
You're post's always raise the bar. That Locopico especially caught my eye in the video.
Is it a long season pepper. Sweet and hot?
j
They seem to have done well in the Atlanta area this season. About as early as Farm Locoto. (Other mini rocoto etc) Super sweet in all the phenotypes, with sweetness increasing with fruit size (in the more pube dominant F2 groups) Extreme juice bombs. The smaller the fruit the more funky, perfume, chacoense/eximium like flavor they have. The “Ulupica” flavor I like to call it. Very very spicy for a pubescens, but then again Farm Locoto I consider the super hot of Pubescens and the Eshbaughii definitely helps in the pungency department.
Very nice, @Pepper-Guru. I really enjoy your travelogue videos.

One question, where does the c. eshbaughii fit into
the eximium complex, if at all? Maybe some other
place in the capsicum genealogy?

Eximium, Cardenasii, Eshbaughii and Pubescens were all in the purple Corolla clade until recently. The latest paper on eshbaughii and now the latest presentation done on pubescens seems to want to slightly separate pubescens just outside of that clade.

That tidy bit is touched on here around the 27:00 min mark:

Also, word is a new monography is being published now, with perhaps a couple nice new surprises.

Last edited:
That tidy bit is touched on here around the 27:00 min mark:

@Pepper-Guru I don't want to spam your thread but I looked at a few of the other videos on #SolSeminarOnline after you mentioned the one above. Have many people here have actually seen 'A journey through the world of "axí" (Capsicum)' from this series? I knew parts of it but had needed to read lots of different papers to assemble my partial knowledge. This video is singularly the best overview of Capsicum history, species, traits, clades and alike I've seen anywhere. I'd say it's a must watch for those wanting to build their knowledge. Sorry if I'm late to the party and that video is already well known. It only has 200+ views so not that high and from Dec'2020 so the information is current.

I'm going to share it in a few other places as it's just perfect for those asking about history and wilds. Thanks for indirectly pointing me to it 👍

Both of these are very good, even with a quick perusal.
I need to sit somewhere quiet and watch it on a big screen!

Back