• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Guys, what do you think about this lamp?

Maybe? I found it hard to figure out how good some of those CFL lights are because they may be 300 watt equivalent lights that are actually only 100 watt CFL bulbs. Also it doesn't say how many lumens the bulb is so you really have no idea how bright the bulb is. Watts is how much power it uses not how bright the bulb is or how much light your giving to your plants. My guess is it puts out around 17,000 lumens probably enough to grow a plant over the winter or enough to keep it alive and produce, but it won't thrive or grow fast at all. If I had to choose between that and outside I would just keep it outside.

I agree with you, that to put the plant outside and to wait for the grow season is actually a better idea...

Well that's not your only option. I plan on growing all year round, but I had to invest in a MH/HPS setup. The good thing is I got all my equipment used so it was no where near the cost of new equipment and still works great!

You should also do some search on this forum.

Many stay out of lighting discussions because they always evolve into name-calling and insults.

willard3 said:
You should also do some search on this forum.

Many stay out of lighting discussions because they always evolve into name-calling and insults.
How dare you... you... you Willard, you!

:lol:

I dare.

I do lighting design for a living and understand the physics of lighting pretty well.....much of the stuff posted on this site are opinions about lighting physics.....opinions about the physics of light are irrelevant.

willard3 said:
I dare.

I do lighting design for a living and understand the physics of lighting pretty well.....much of the stuff posted on this site are opinions about lighting physics.....opinions about the physics of light are irrelevant.
You do know I was kidding, right? I'm no doubt your most enthusiastic student, wise Willard. :)

The 200w version of that bulb puts out 10000 lumens. I myself prefer t5ho lights to grow with, but never tried on peppers. I have tried all types and was most pleased with t5s and I use them for a coral filled saltwater tank also.

for what its worth another grow tech forum (for growing illegal plants) has a thread about them and they say those lamps are decent for plant growth but absolutly suck for flowerinf and they suggest looking into a good hps setup. Like it was stated earlier just an opinion. any also have some kind of fan or blower to keep air movement.

I am using a 125W Envirolight (and from the e-bay pic) mine is a lot smaller. Granted I can only grow a couple of plants but They do seem to love the light, it's the "blue" spectrum.
I eventually added some supplementary CFL's to the setup, just small ones (3 x 11W and 1 x 25W) 2 "red" and 2 "blue" and now the plants took off like mad.

I also got the 250W "Red" spectrum and as soon as some buds set in I will change the bulb.

Some Pros:
1. Low enegry usage, my bill hardly saw a dent with the light on 18 hours a day.
2. Having such a massive CFL looks so cool.
3. Plants seems to love it (saying this, I have no point of comparison as I haven't used HPS/H lighting.)

Cons:
The light has to be right on top of the plants. not necessarily a problem unless you plant chillies of different species which of corse grow at different rates (doh), you can either chop the faster growing ones, which is painful, or lift the light, where the smaller ones then suffer.

I think it will work, but next time I will get a bigger light.

Cheers

Seller has told me that this lamp gives 22000 lumen output, I think it is pretty much enough to grow 2-3 plants to harvest?

Looks good in terms of spectrum and lumen. Just one minor thing is that the light output is very concentrated because of the compact size of that type lamp. I would go for the long shaped models to cover a wider area..
There are long shaped lamps that consume 110W and provide 10000 Lumen.

Back