Hab plant tall - not bushy

Hello, 

One of my indoors habs are about 1 meter tall, but with a long distance between leafs. Only when I remembered it, I started flimming new growth. It did not encourage bottom growth, so I started topping. Now its bushy only on the top part, about 70cm up on the stem. The stem is also 3 times as thick on the quarter top part than down by the soil. The plant grows in a crazy tempo! Any suggestions? Its about 8 - 10cm between each leaf on the stem the first 60 - 70cm. And yeah, its is ONE single stem :)

Not here now, but imagine a plant with a single tall stem, with single leafs out every 7-10cm. And the top quarter is bushy as I started to flimmel it :) 

Yeah, pruning only causes the plant to produce new growth where the cuts occurred. Outside of that it's going to keep it's natural growth pattern. This may not be what you wanted, but it's what you're going to get. 

Yeah, pruning works. But this has been growing on ita own and was suddenly very tall. And thin, few leafs :) don't want to cut it back. Can I cut the leafes of the stem and expect new and more growth there?! New growth is coming as normal on the middle an up from the single leafes joint to the stem

Sounds like the plant stretched in search of light. Probably the top get much more light than the bottom.
What's your indoor light source?

Cya

Datil

8 hours of sun is good enough to prevent a lanky tall plant.

But a couple of pictures would speak a thousand words. Ideally a good pic or two of the plant, and a close-up of an open flower.

Back