• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hab?

Call me silly, but I realized I have never eaten a raw hab by itself, and decided to rectify that today. Picked up a couple from the grocers, and ate one. Companion pepper (uneaten) is below - note this was the only variety the grocer had at the time. Also note the actual color is paler than this pic appears. The first slice was taken from top to bottom, and I had managed not to get any of the seed membrane in it. Popped it in my mouth, and raised my eyebrows, because there was no heat. I thought that might change when I started chewing, but it didn't. No heat at all. At least it had good flavor. Took another slice, this time ensuring it had some seed membrane in it. Yep - there was the heat. Finished the thing off, ensuring each had the hot stuff in it. The heat was enough to make my nose slightly runny, but that was it. However, it did continue to burn quite a while after the last bite was swallowed.

So I'm wondering if this is common in habs - is all the heat usually just in the placenta, or was that just the type I happened to get? Or is that possibly just becaus this isn't a mature pod? In cooking with them in the past (which have been orange or red in color), I have usually sliced them into rings, so they always contained at least some placental tissue. There was no label at the grocer's other than "habanero", and I realize this may be wrong or it's just a milder variety than I was hoping for. Still and all, my long thick red cayenne has a heck of a lot more heat in the non-placental tissue, and is just as hot, if not hotter overall. Any input is appreciated.

maybeHab.JPG

Yep, if you eat a green hab, you are going to experience the flavour and less heat, allow the pod to reach its deep orange colour and you will be telling a different story.

Thanks - good info there. I've got to stop by the farmers market this week, so will be sure to pick up some in the "right" color range.

Get yourself a brain strain, douglah or scorpion, cut out the placenta and eat it whole.......there will be no heat either....... :hell:

Get yourself brain strain, douglah or scorpion and cut out the placenta and eat it whole.......there will be no heat either....... :hell:
that's just mean.

but yeah, i dont think i agree fully with the other comment about flavor minus heat on green peppers. ripened peppers taste so much sweeter than bitter green ones!

Get yourself a brain strain, douglah or scorpion, cut out the placenta and eat it whole.......there will be no heat either....... :hell:
:rolleyes: I may be a newbie to this site, and a newbie to growing peppers, but few do the quantity of research I do before jumping into an endeavor.... tsk, tsk, tsk.

but yeah, i dont think i agree fully with the other comment about flavor minus heat on green peppers. ripened peppers taste so much sweeter than bitter green ones!
Interesting thing is that I wouldn't class this one as bitter at all. Had a citrusy flavor.

:rolleyes: I may be a newbie to this site, and a newbie to growing peppers, but few do the quantity of research I do before jumping into an endeavor.... tsk, tsk, tsk.
I know everyone here knows the insane heat of those peppers. I knew you wouldn't do it. :)

Back