• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habanero Got Bud?

Both My Antillais Caribbean and Jamaican Hot Choc have buds and I am two weeks from outdoor planting. I was surprised to have buds on Habanero peppers 12 weeks after germ. Is this uncommon for Habs to have buds so soon?

Do any of your Habaneros have buds?

I'll post pics in a bit...

Haha... I was just going to respond to the other thread, so I will post some pics here!

I have pinched buds twice on my orange habs and jalapenos.

They are 8" tall:

Orange_Habanero.jpg

Jalapeno.jpg

I have about three weeks till outside.

I will be busy pollinating.

1. Should I pinch these guys off again?

2. Are non-pollinated flowers detrimental to peppers? I am afraid I may not be able to keep up.

Thanks.

Binganero man I don't know what to tell you, look at the shear number of them! This is your second time too? Damn bro! If it were me I think I'd let 'em run this time. Probably not the best for the plants but geez.

Both! All your plants look like this? Damn! Under a foot tall and they're all sprouting like that? What kind of fertilizer are you using?

Well... when they were seedlings I spread some manure at their base. When I transplanted them I gave them some MG plant food and yesterday I gave them some bonemeal... just a pinch.

This is my first year growing, so I am learning!

What size containers are they in? My habanero started budding at about 8 weeks, it was about 13" tall. Pam said it might be rootbound, sometimes they start budding early if they're rootbound. It's 12 weeks now and i've been pinching everything since it started. I don't plan on letting anything flower until it goes outside. My fatalli's are only 7 weeks old and i pinched the first buds on them a few days ago, they're about 14" tall.

12 weeks doesn't sound early, sounds about right. 12 weeks = 84 days. According to thechileman:

Habanero Orange chiles are a little slower to germinate than many others, but this chile variety is worth the wait as it is 40 times hotter than a standard Jalapeno Pepper! A producer of light green, thin, crinkled peppers which ripen to a brilliant orange-red coloration (85-95 days), each chile pepper is around 1½ inches long by about 1 inch across. This variety is dangerously hot and not for the faint hearted, tipping in at an eye watering 200,000 - 300,000 scoville heat units.

No clue as to why they're budding like that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here. I would think the high nitrogen in the fertilizer would make them grow bigger and not bud.

Maybe you've got two green thumbs. That small of plants I would suggest you just keep pinching.

Good luck.

Thats the way I was leaning... I figure it will do more good to get some vegetation anyway.

My fiance' noted that the closet is lined with cedar which has some aromatic qualities. Any correlation??? Just a thought.

Most of my C. chinenses are flowering now, but I usually pick off the flowers for several months until the plants are a decent size

my long slim reds started to flower, seems like they started at a much smaller size than my plants did last year, so i'm gonna roll with you guys and pinch a bit to let them get some size, they seem a real light shade of green like its almost getting N deficient. hmmm...time to check out some fert.

A flowering plant will put more energy into prodocing fruit and less into producing root. Considering that they arent even into the ground yet, that wont be good especially if we have a hot dry summer (Im thinkin Kansas here.) I try not to start my plants till 8 weeks before planting out. A smaller transplant with no stress will produce a healthier plant and a better harvest in the end. Keep pinchin.

Back