• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habanero Plant

This is the healthiest looking pepper plant so far this year that I have in or out of the ground. Can you experts tell me if this is a healthy plant by your standards ? Thanks !

Attachments

• habanero.jpg
    habanero.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 75
Buzz said:
Looks good to me, except I'm not so sure it's a habanero. The leaves are awfully long and narrow, instead of more broad like a typical c. chinense.
I sure hope its a habanero. I bought 2 of them from home depot and thats what is said on the label. What do you think it might be ?

It looks more annuum-ish, but they should be fine. I would trust HD. It's always possible that it got crossed, but I would have pretty good faith in it being a hab as long as you got it from someplace reputable. Big box stores should have pretty good reliability in their suppliers

Looks like a hab without a few nutes. Feed it a LITTLE bit. Mine grew flowers like that in the first year also, huge bags of peppers.

cruzzfish said:
Looks like a hab without a few nutes. Feed it a LITTLE bit. Mine grew flowers like that in the first year also, huge bags of peppers.
newbie question what are nutes ?

It's not just the leaves but also the blooms are wrong...  too large, too white, too conical shaped.  At most it is a cross between a hab and something else, but my money's on it being some kind of annuum too, not a hab at all.

That makes it harder to say if healthy, without knowing what the ideal of its type would look like and lighting can play a factor on how deep green vs yellow a plant looks.  Regardless I concur that it looks like it needs some fertilizer, that it's possible your soil mix has bound up too much nitrogen so I'd apply a fertilizer rich in nitrogen in tiny doses, frequently.

Dave2000 said:
It's not just the leaves but also the blooms are wrong...  too large, too white, too conical shaped.  At most it is a cross between a hab and something else, but my money's on it being some kind of annuum too, not a hab at all.

...or they haven't opened yet. It takes 3-4 days for my indoor plants to turn flat. This actually looks a bit like my orange brain strain plant did before it decided to grow a bit more. And that thing is by no means an annuum,

the leaves look a bit too pointy to me also..
how many buds are there per node? looks like only one?
If so I dont think it can be a Hab?

cruzzfish said:
...or they haven't opened yet. It takes 3-4 days for my indoor plants to turn flat. This actually looks a bit like my orange brain strain plant did before it decided to grow a bit more. And that thing is by no means an annuum,
There are several blooms, it is unlikely they would all happen to be in exactly the same state of partially open, and it still doesn't account for their size or color.  They are too large for a hab and too bright white.  It does look to me like it's at least 1/2 annuum.  Could the other half be orange brain strain?  Anything is possible but I'm doubting that mix would end up at  Home Depot opposed to a grower here reusing saved seed.  IMO, more likely 1/2 hab and 1/2 some annuum the same seed seller (or nursery for already sprouted plants) offers at HD.

Sounds to me like all signs point to "wait and see". Best of luck, and don't get discouraged by anything you read here. You asked for opinions, and you got them. Keep us posted! We wanna see pod pics when they're ready!

Buzz is certainly correct, don't get discouraged by anything one of us might post I've found 95% of the ppl on here are just trying to help anyway they can, but in the end the only important questions are: is your plant healthy, does it produce pods, do u like the taste of those pods? Everything else is just gobbledygook. It might be an orange hab or it may be a cayenne or it maybe a 7pot A hole burner, the only true question is does it make u happy? Just my $.02

The leaves definitely have a nice wave to them like a Bhut does.  It looks like a healthy plant to me.  If you give it any nutes make sure it's something with calcium in it since it's blooming, this will help prevent Blossom End Rot when the pods form.  Any tomato based fertilizer will work but I'd recommend using half strength of it for peppers.

Back