Habanero poppers

Hi guys, I was going to try making some habanero poppers...do you think I can just follow a recipe for Jalapeno poppers and just use a different pepper or because the hab is thinner skinned, I have to do something a little different than for a Jalapeno?

A few members on THP have made Hab poppers. I'm not overly sure how they made theirs, but I did them the same as a jala popper. For more info, see THE ABSOLUTE POPPER TOME housed here at THP. More poppers than you could possibly imagine. And no-one has contributed to it in some time :(

svtcontour said:
Hi guys, I was going to try making some habanero poppers...do you think I can just follow a recipe for Jalapeno poppers and just use a different pepper or because the hab is thinner skinned, I have to do something a little different than for a Jalapeno?

I do them a little different than 'penos. The thin walls do not hold up as well and the cheese often oozes out. For habs....

I split in half lengthwise leaving the stem on. Then I carefully stuff with some kind of soft cheese of soft cheese mixture. I personally like minced shallot, sundried tomato, and goat cheese. Stuff each half but do not overfill as you'll be putting the halves back together. Next, put them in the freezer until they are pretty stiff but not frozen like a rock. About an hour is good. Takem' out, dredge in seasoned flour, then eggwash or if you like as I do, beer batter! If that's not your fare, go from the eggwash into some breadcrumbs or panko. Then into a deep fryer @375 until golden brown and they float. I like to dunk mine into blue cheese dressing.

CAUTION! They can be very addictive. Because they can be pretty hot for poppers, you'll be tempted to eat them fast but they can be so tasty you won't know when to stop. Last year I ate over 20 in one night. BAD JUJU!! The next day you will not be able to leave the house to go ANYWHERE!!!

One last 'thang, eat something else at least a half hour before. Hab poppers on an empty stomach will cause much late night howling and gnashing of teeth.

ENJOY!

I'm going to have to try your method one of these days TB. I usually just stuff them with cheese, onions or whatever else I have on hand then wrap them in bacon.

Blister said:
I'm going to have to try your method one of these days TB. I usually just stuff them with cheese, onions or whatever else I have on hand then wrap them in bacon.

Bacon's good. Especially with the 'peno's. I'm not keen on it with habs although JayT has done some nice work with bacon and habs. Chorizo and cheddar is a killer stuffing. So is shrimp!

You can halve the habs and stuff them like you would a mushroom cap. I use canned crabmeat, seasoned bread crumbs, a little white wine, parmesean cheese, and some melted butter. Mix it all together and stuff it into the pepper halves. Sprinkle with your favorite shredded cheese and bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Finish them under a broiler to brown.

Eat with lots of beer.

Ive only messed with making hab poppers once and it was quite a memorable experiance.
I ate 10-12 of them at one time because they were so good, but later that night they almost killed me.

I cut in half then de-seeded and stuffed with shredded sharp cheddar and cream cheese. Then coated with flower and deepfried untill golden brown.

Delicious but eat with CAUTION!

I've not done the battered and deep fried poppers with habs lately. Going to have to do that soon. TB and FadetoBlack, I totally agree with you about consuming too many. I thought I was going to die from the inside out the couple of times I made superhot poppers (nagas, fataliis, scorpions, and 7's) Not a pleasant memory.

JayT said:
I've not done the battered and deep fried poppers with habs lately. Going to have to do that soon. TB and FadetoBlack, I totally agree with you about consuming too many. I thought I was going to die from the inside out the couple of times I made superhot poppers (nagas, fataliis, scorpions, and 7's) Not a pleasant memory.

So does that mean I don't get to poison you?

yea hab popers are definately an expirence.. but yea just do em the way you do jala popers and you'll be good. just dont eat to many. i had 15 or so in one go i was seeing doubble and next day i destroyed the shitter and peeled the paint off the walls, never mind what i felt.

N_FF said:
yea hab popers are definately an expirence.. but yea just do em the way you do jala popers and you'll be good. just dont eat to many. i had 15 or so in one go i was seeing doubble and next day i destroyed the shitter and peeled the paint off the walls, never mind what i felt.

Thats got to be the most hilarious thing Ive ever read on here!

check out the "tales from the Loo" thread then.... or anything arboc/quad/passow have said. rip quad/passow *sniff* also click on the rape.

Back