• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense habanero questions...

what's the life span of production of a habanero true strain? refering after the first harvest...

anyone here has grown a hybrid like 'orange plum" and compared production, flavor, hotness etc vs a true strain?

any input on these questions i would appreciate it...thanks...

Hola Hector,

The typical Habanero plant will live for quite a few years (like the wise and universe travelling SS has said). Productivity of the plant might decline after a few years, but the climate in Republica Dominicana should give you pretty much a constant, year round growing season, so long as you keep the plants healthy (you don't have to overwinter them or get rid of them like growers in colder climates). I know people back home (mine is Panama) who keep their plants growing for quite a few years.

:)

any kind of pepper plant can live many years if kept well in winter, like some wild tepin piquen in texas they live for many many years

thnx aji chombo...i was thinking in that line yesterday...thinking about planting and see what's going to happen...i'm not worried about fertigation or pest control, just about the quality and productivity...been the first the most important...

aji chombo any first hand experience with habanero hybrids or somewhere you can point me? yesterday i was in a farm around 3 acres...were they have around 6-10 varieties all together of habaneros planted...talk about cross pollination for next year...next time I go(is around 40 minutes from where i live) i'm going to take some pics and upload them to the site...must be pepper heaven for a lot of guys here....pepper mix...

Nope, sorry hector. My only growing experiences with habaneros have been recent and mostly small scale.

You can try contacting the people from the New Mexico Chile Pepper Institute (http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/). It might take them a few days, but they are willing to answer questions from growers.

They have been very helpful in the past. :)

Hector I don't think what you said .... "habanero growers here don't share to much info on production or strains... " is the case. Very few people are growing on a scale that you are or the way you are. Large production in a Green House. I can't really compare my humble back yard production to yours or give any really useful info on something like yours.

You have to be learning a little about different types of pepper like , the Scotch Bonnet , Golden Habanero , Peach Habenero , and so on. And in some pictures you see how large some strains are. Like the Golden Habanero is the biggest Habenro I've had in my hand .

On habanero type plants living a long time all I can speak of is what I saw in Jamaica. I've stayed with Yardie friends all over the island and many folks have a "Pepper Tree" as they called it. A Scotch Bonnet plant that's been alive for years. I have no idea how old some of them were , they just said it's been growing for years. The "Trees" they had weren't really all that pretty ... they were sprawling thin tree looking plants. No "prize winning" looking plants. They weren't into production so much . Just wanted peppers for their use and when there was extra someone might take them into town and sale them at the market , along with any extra mangoes or what ever.

With what you know and your talents I'm sure you could keep productive plants going for several years. Then at sometime when you notice it's not doing as well ...... you start more. If you kept some of those plants isolated that's where your future seed stock could come from.

I'm not you ..... but if I was trying to do part of what it seems you want to do. First I'd grow several at least "true strains". Find one or two that fit my needs. Then go from there. Start making a few cuttings or isolate some if I was sure nothing had been crossed and use the seeds. The only reason to make cuttings would be to make sure the plant wasn't crossed.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Thinking about what i wrote in my previous post, I apologize because i did not express the full thought of what i wanted to really say and sounded a bit harsh or rude...

What i thought is that since there are so many strains of the same habanero variety....is hard to get some concrete data of growers...because some strains produce more than others, looking at some sites like reimerseeds and finding around 5+ strains of habanero orange and the same can be said about red and yellow strains....

with that said, i thinking of going with 2 strains, habanero red and habanero orange...from tomatogrowers.com possibly...grow them...and see what's going to happen...if not... habanero red and habanero orange hybrid "orange plum"...

hector........ I agree it's hard and confusing to know what the heck you will get with so many strains and so many vendors selling the same strains. We all know and have learned the hard way that some people try hard with their breeding programs and do a MUCH better job than others. Some vendors could care less ...... I have no experience with Reimers . Their site looks great ..... everything you might want ... But too many good people here have said they got took by them. They didn't end up with what they expected .

I'm sure you'll over come in the long run.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back