Habanero Red Savina

Hey Folks!!

23vdevb.jpg

My first attempt at posting a photo, as well as my first ripe pod of the year; Habanero Red Savina. This is my 2nd year growing hot peppers, but my first year growing entirely from seeds. Yesterday morning this pod was green, with some hints of red. By 6pm yesterday evening, it was full-blown orange/red. I've never seen a red savina, so I'm not sure if they are a pure red color, or more of a bright orange color. I also need to figure out what I am going to make out of these peppers. I've got ghosts, reapers, hab Jamaican hot chocolates, other habaneros, black scorpion tongues, red lanterns...on and on. This is such a satisfying hobby. I currently grow everything in 5 gallon buckets and it seems to be working out great. I was thinking that next year I might try some in-ground planting, but here in Florida, at least where I live, it's 100% sand. I was talking with a Univ. of Florida horticulturalist and he was saying the soil is bad, and that I would need to amend it a year in advance. I have never grown in-ground before, so I may just stay with the bucket system...especially after what he said. Anyways, I'd appreciate any tips or advice you can give to me, as I am a newbie...will very wiling to listen and learn!!

JB

Where in Florida are you? If you're in a location you can grow them perennial then I think you should get on the in-ground thing asap :) You'll definitely want to amend that soil. Some sand is a good thing though.

I regret not growing the Red Savina this year :( Just have orange habs and super hots.

I'm also rocking the 5 gallon bucket system, but this year I will attempt to overwinter outdoors via a greenhouse.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Where in Florida are you? If you're in a location you can grow them perennial then I think you should get on the in-ground thing asap :)

I regret not growing the Red Savina this year :( Just have orange habs and super hots.

Spicey.....I live about 20 miles south of St. Augustine....essentially, 60 miles north of Orlando....people here refer to this area as northeast Florida. We do get some freezes here. This last winter we had 6-7 nights of freeze. What should I amend the soil with? Horse manure, cow manure, etc.?

Back