• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero stem - peduncle problem

Greetings fellow chilli lovers!

Firstly I would like to say that I am completly new to the forum, but I've been reading it through the summer to find alot of info on growing hot peppers. So hello!

Let me write a quick introduction, since It is my first post here.
This was, or better still is, my first growing season. I have a few pepper plants planted in the ground, like the bishops crown, jalapenos and wiri-wiri. To be honest those dont really get much of my attention. But those who get it are my 3 Habaneros in containers. 2 ordinary Habanero Reds and 1 Black Habanero (the not so hot ones). They are the reason I'm going into home pepper growing, for personal use of course. Now the funny thing is I made my decision and got the habanero seedlings veeeeeeeery very late in the season, way too late from what I've read on the internet. I have it all documented and it was on 13th of June :) Yes, extremly late. They were maybe 3 or 4 cm tall (1,5 inch). I bought a bag of good soil, a small growing house - back then I didn't expect a very wet summer, but it turned out to be the perfect timing - yes we had really bad weather in Slovenia 90% of the summer, and we still have!.
The main idea was to get some experience for next years season, and some fruits and seeds of course, if it turned out good. My expectations weren't high at all considering I was a few months too late and with the unfortunate weather we have, but it turned out pretty good in the end. I have around 20 fruits per each Hab. Red plant and a few on the hab. black. The black still needs time, but the 2 reds are rippening right now. I already ate one and it passed my taste and hottnes test, so I'm keeping the seeds for next year. Now i have to wait for around 30 pods to be ripe on the plants for a delicious habanero sauce. But more and more are starting to get colour daily now, so it shouldn't take more then 2 or 3 weeks.

Now for the "problem":

The peduncles (used translator for this, so I hope it is the right term) on some of the pods have brown/black spots on them (pictures bellow!), but the main stems are perfectly fine. Now I dont see this as a problem yet really, since it hasn't resulted in any damage to the plant and fruits so far, but it doesn't look healthy either. The spots on some pods slowly grow over the entire peduncle, but dont affect the pod itself, and it a looks a bit like they dry it out on the surface. If left on the plant for a long time I expect it would result in a fruit drop. But this hasn't happened so yet, even though 1 fully ripe pod is sitting on the plant for over a week with the spots on it for over a month now.

Here's the oldest ripe pod( watch the peduncle):

other site...

and one more of the same pod

A beautiful rippening pod on the other plant. Look at the peduncle of the pod in the middle. The other pod form the same node is also affected.

Now here's a picture of a pod I ate a week ago. The fruit looks perfectly fine, though 1 or max 2 days short of being fully ripe- it's more orange then red and was stil delicious!. Now check the peduncle. And no It didn't fall off. I picked it, cause i couldnt wait any longer :)

Now what could the reason be behind this? For me it does go in the direction of a funghi infection by the looks of it. But it does not affect the main stem! As said the weather war horribly wet and the air humidity probaly high aswell (specially in the small growing house i have). I could have also slightly overwatered it, but to prove this I wont water them now for some time to see what will happen. Also I don't use any fertilizers, except for some crushed eggshells i have standing in watter for some time now (stinks like sh*t to be honest, awfull smell really). I can't confirm this helped the plant in any way, but didn't damage it either, so might just drop that next season. So maybe it's the lack of certain nutrients.

P.S.: How long does a fully ripe hab. pod last on the plant before going bad? This is kind of a pointless question, because I will get the answer myself in a few weeks the most :)

Thanks for any answers and info I will get.

Have a good day!

Miro

Hello and  :welcome:  to THP!  Your problem could be a few different issues. Pepper bacterial spot can cause lesions on the peduncle as well as fruit, luckily it doesn't seem to be damaging your plants or pods http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/prokaryotes/Pages/Bacterialspot.aspx    might also be bacterial stem and peduncle canker (soft rot). whatever it is hopefully it doesn't spread.

more info about both of the above along with many pepper diseases and problems  also with treatment and prevention can be found http://www.seminis.com/global/us/growerresources/documents/sem-12095_pepperdiseases_8p5x11_072313.pdf

that's pretty common on habs when the fruit is fully mature.   as long as it's not affecting the fruit i would worry not.

If it's a bacterial infection I can only hope it wont transmit on/in the seeds for next year. But I will take the risk. And no I don't worry about the spots anymore, main reason being that me and the hot peppers are nearly at the end of this years journey :) I want as much info as possible on why things like that happen so I can be better prepared next year. But then again you start overcaring (I definetly did that this year) for your plants and usualy do more harm than good xD

Btw just saw that 4 more pods are colouring. At this paste it will be over very soon! http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/53285445.jpg

Thanks alot for the replies so far.

Did you rinse of and/or pick off any remaining egg from the shells?  They shouldn't stink much sitting in water otherwise, unless the water just went stagnant sitting around regardless of the shells in it.  You don't really need to soak egg shells anyway, it's better to save up a bunch dry then crush and mix them into the soil before transplanting a new plant into it.

Anyway I'd do what you are doing, reduce water, but also give them a balanced fertilizer.

Habamiro said:
If it's a bacterial infection I can only hope it wont transmit on/in the seeds for next year.

If the seeds look good (full sized and light tan colored) they are usually good.  If they instead look undersized or dark colored then they are bad.  Generally speaking if a bacterial infection made it that far into the pod, it will strike the placenta around the seed before the seed itself and that placenta will become darker, and the pod will smell bad when you cut it open.

Dave2000 said:
Did you rinse of and/or pick off any remaining egg from the shells?  They shouldn't stink much sitting in water otherwise, unless the water just went stagnant sitting around regardless of the shells in it.  You don't really need to soak egg shells anyway, it's better to save up a bunch dry then crush and mix them into the soil before transplanting a new plant into it.

Anyway I'd do what you are doing, reduce water, but also give them a balanced fertilizer.

If the seeds look good (full sized and light tan colored) they are usually good.  If they instead look undersized or dark colored then they are bad.  Generally speaking if a bacterial infection made it that far into the pod, it will strike the placenta around the seed before the seed itself and that placenta will become darker, and the pod will smell bad when you cut it open.

No actually I didn't clean them in any way, so the smell might come from that. If it makes it any better they are 100 bio/eco/whatever eggs from my grandmother who does everything the old school way :D I will stop doing that, cause I did aswell add crushed eggs shells  as you suggested, and I'll rather continue the latter method.

Yes, the seeds did look very good, healthy, all whitey and clean.I used those you  see in the last picture I posted and will do the same on some other nice looking pods.

Anyway thanks alot for all the welcomes and all answers, possible reasons on the problem so far! I'll definetly post a pic of the harvest in a few weeks (if good of course :) ) and a final conlusions on the "problem".

Back