• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Habanero Sure-Jell Jelly Recipe

The only product I have access to is Sure-Jell; so, does anybody have a recipe for Habanero Jelly using Sure-Jell? Thanks/Cheers.

Depending on how hot you want it, I just chop up how many peppers I want and follow the directions on the box for jelly.

Sure-Jell should have recipes inside the package. I think they even have a jalapeno recipe. I use Certo, so I can't say for sure about the Sure-Jell though.

Here's a link to a jelly thread-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/8423-hab-jelly/page__pid__155238#entry155238

Sure-Jell should have recipes inside the package. I think they even have a jalapeno recipe. I use Certo, so I can't say for sure about the Sure-Jell though.

Here's a link to a jelly thread-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/8423-hab-jelly/page__pid__155238#entry155238

Thanks; it's very frustrating for a rank beginner using Sure-Jell. Their instructions for Jalapeño is/are for freezer jelly, which isn't what I want, and are very exacting. My sister (she brought it over here) is a fan of SJ because it uses much less sugar. I can't find gelatin or pectin here, just Agar, which sets up very firm and isn't spreadable. :think:

I'll find some and check it out. Hang in there for couple days, (I'm out of town right now) I'll post what it ends up like, after we get home~ Might at least give you a reference to work from.

I think there are some red chiles (mystery peps) and a couple fataliis that could be thrown into the mix ;)

I'll find some and check it out. Hang in there for couple days, (I'm out of town right now) I'll post what it ends up like, after we get home~ Might at least give you a reference to work from.

I think there are some red chiles (mystery peps) and a couple fataliis that could be thrown into the mix ;)

Wow SL, that would be great. I may give 1 pack a shot and then see what you came up with. My sister said the amount of sugar was the most critical measurement to insuring Sure-Jell "jelled". Me? I haven't a clue. Cheers. :banghead:

Alrighty then; made some jelly today with Sure-Jell.
It turned out okay, but it's maybe not as "hot" as I'd like. Not sure yet; I'll get back on that tomorrow.
3-Granny Smith apples
8-Orange Habaneros
1-Red Costa Rican Habanero
4-cups apple juice
2-tbsp vinegar
4-cups white sugar
1-pack Sure-Jell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cut the apples into 8ths and cut those in half; whole, cores, seeds, and skins.
Coarsely chop whole Habaneros; seeds, membrane (placenta), and pods (not stems).
In a large stew pot combine apples, apple juice, vinegar, and Habaneros.
Cook for at least 30 minutes; make sure the apples are soft.
Strain through cheese cloth into a stainless bowel.
Dump strained contents into the stew pot. Add 4 cups sugar and 1 pack Sure-Jell (mixed with sugar) into strained juice.
Heat to a rolling boil and hold for 1 minute at the rolling boil; turn off the heat and put in sterilized jars.
We used paraffin for the seal after the jelly had cooled a bit.
The yield was 3-2/3 cups of jelly; not as much as I'd hoped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The jelly is delicious, but may not be as "hot" as I'd like...the proof will be tomorrow morning with buttered toast.
Cheers.

P.S. The set was great; firm with no problem for firmness even before it was cooled down.

AL-RIGHT! your first batch! so your jelly is clear, with no little bits in it? And your sis is right, exact measurements of sugar and juice is critical for a proper gel.

A trick for pepper bits but nothing else is to cut the pods in half, cook with the rest of the stuff, then pick out the pepper skin (leave the seeds in with the other stuff) and set the skins aside. After the sauce has drained, blender or food processor the salvaged pepper skins with a little of the juice until they are in small but visible bits. Mix back in with the rest of the juice. It looks really nice with the small bits of orange/red/yellow/whatever in the clear jelly.

We're going to town today, I'll see if I can find the Sure-Jell and try a batch. Thanks for posting measurements in case the box doesn't have any.

Pics???

SL, pics tomorrow. Yes, clear. Little flakes? Yeah, I thought of that, good idea. Maybe next batch. Cheers.

Here's a good recipe. It just says liquid pectin so I'm sure you could use the brand you have available.

Annie's Habanero Gold
=======================
1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
1-1/4 total cup minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice),
approximately half-and-half.
1/4 cup Habanero peppers
Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet
pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
1-1/2 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3-ounce pouch liquid pectin
. Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other
non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5
minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit
overnight. Stir occasionally if convenient.
Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any
greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.
Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin.
Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did
need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids.
Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual
with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.
When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the
jelly.

Here are the pics;

HabaneroGold.jpg

And;

Parafin.jpg

Remember parafin? Very handy stuff to have; especially when canning jars are not yet to be found.
Not Annies; my previous recipe. Cheers.

GREAT pics, AjarnV

and yes, I do know about paraffin wax. Probably not a good thing that I admit that, but it is what it is~

I did find Sure-Gel boxes at the store and bought a couple boxes. Have not had time to play with them yet.

You have some great looking jelly, m8~

Thanks SL; this morning I had some on toast and cream-cheese and noticed it has aged to more heat and the flavor of the Habaneros was more pronounced. I didn't know it would do that...interesting. Cheers.

I'm finally getting a chance to get caught up on all this stuff, thanks for asking.

I made a batch of pepper jam using the recipe in the Sure-Jell box. It called for something like 5 cups of chopped peppers, but I did not have that much as you will see in the pictures. Sugar, cider vinegar, peppers and pectin.

The Ingredients-
bunch of mild peter peppers, 1 fatalii, 6 habanero, 5 yellow aji, 4 small bulgarian carrots, sugar, cider vinegar, pectin
706927fe.jpg

De-seeded the peppers in into the chopper,
3ce6caa6.jpg

Yielded about 1 1/2 cups chopped peppers-
6fb944d0.jpg

I followed the box directions to bring the vinegar and chiles to a boil, add sugar, return to boil, add pectin return to boil, the into the jars.

Jars into hot water bath-
0b9e08ce.jpg

And the yield-
5eab0e69.jpg

This batch has a medium heat since it had a few hot peppers in the 4 1/2 jars. It did not set up super firm, but I'd say it's a soft jelly or firm jam.

Of course, if a person were to substitute all hot chiles, then it would be a much hotter jelly. After this batch, I tried a batch with Certo, but it called for apple juice, which I didn't have on hand, so I threw in some fresh apple and it turned out good. Not as thick of a set as it might have been, but still good.

The Certo seems to be easier to use, but it's recipe calls for more ingredients. The Sure-Jell recipe worked great and had a firmer set. But I'd have to do another batch with the Certo following directions exactly in order to say if one brand was better than the other. They both work, just follow the directions EXACTLY for the measurements.

Back