• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Habanero transplant shock.

I have some 3-4 month old Habanero plants that i had to move from garden to 5 gallon buckets(with potting mix). Its been a week and they are still showing signs of transplant shock, leaves go limp whenever the sun hits them, perk up when shaded. How long does the shock typically last? And anything I can do to help them out?
Thanks in advance.

leaves go limp whenever the sun hits them, perk up when shaded

This is a natural response to the heat and increased transpiration of being in direct sun. It wouldn’t normally be considered a problem as such… but if you think it’s bad enough for concern, the solution would be more shade, either by moving them or using a shade cloth or something.

But in general, plants droop in the heat just like us.

Thanks. They do perk up to normal when shaded. But the second they see the sun(literally within like 5 minutes), they wilt very bad. The peppers that were able to stay in the garden do not have the issue and look good in full sun. I can leave the transplant peppers in the shade, however dont they require some sunlight every day?

Was running out of daylight. But here is what they look like being in the evening sun for only 10-15 minutes. They do continually get worse.

Attachments

• HAB1.jpg
    HAB1.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 98
  • HAB2.jpg
    HAB2.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 103
  • HAB3.jpg
    HAB3.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 102
Yes, I think twice a day would be more ideal for my plants… I have enough containers going that it isn’t practical, though. Next year I intend to work out a dripline system.

Last edited:
When you take out big plants with lots of leaves and cut of part of the roots during warmer times of the year it's always gonna be hard on the plant. Above advice will surely help get the plants through this. Next time you should consider cutting off the lateral roots with a spade about a week prior to transplant. The plants will still have some water uptake from the median roots, but the lateral roots will have time to heal and start to branch out again before you actually transplant. This will help the plants recuperate much faster!

Back