• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Habanero Zavory?

I bought some "Habanero Zavory" seeds from "rareseeds.com".

They describe it as : "very mild with a Habanero flavor".

Im a little bit confused now, because other sources describe it as "hot" (50.000-100.000 Scoville).

Anbody tasted "Zavory Hab" and can tell me something about the heat and flavor?

I think he wrote 50,000-100,000. UK uses a period instead of a comma. Which would make them rather hot, not mild.

I grew them in 2013 and 2014. They are very mild with very little noticeable heat. Some pods had more kick than others, but overall they have much less heat than jalapeños.

Yes, we just write it that way here :-)

I meant 50000-100000 scoville. Nearly "habanero" heat.

cloudhand said:
I think he wrote 50,000-100,000. UK uses a period instead of a comma. Which would make them rather hot, not mild.

I grew them in 2013 and 2014. They are very mild with very little noticeable heat. Some pods had more kick than others, but overall they have much less heat than jalapeños.

How do you liked the taste?

I grew them about 5 or 6 years ago. The plants were extremely productive, and the pods were tasty. They definitely had a hab aroma and flavor, but zero heat as far as I could tell. Great for eating a handful or two right off the plant while you're in the garden.

I liked the flavor of them. They pretty much taste like a red hab without the heat.

I remember reading somewhere that they are just an Aji Dulce renamed by Burpee.

Zackorz said:
How do you liked the taste?

cloudhand said:
I liked the flavor of them. They pretty much taste like a red hab without the heat.

I remember reading somewhere that they are just an Aji Dulce renamed by Burpee.

Sounds good, Do you tasted other mild red habs like "Habanero el Remo" or "Vincentest Sweet"  and compared them?

So far i tested 3 red ones: I liked "El Remo" and i didnt liked "Vincentes Sweet" and "Tobago Seasoning".

I have not tried the varieties you listed, but one low heat pepper that I really like is the Venezuelan Tiger, a red chinense with a wonderful flavor and almost no heat. I like it much better than the Zavory. Although not chinense, I also like Rainforest and Bolsa de Dulce. This year I'm growing the Aji Jobito as my low/no heat pepper. I'm really looking forward to seeing how those turn out!

cloudhand said:
I have not tried the varieties you listed, but one low heat pepper that I really like is the Venezuelan Tiger, a red chinense with a wonderful flavor and almost no heat. I like it much better than the Zavory. Although not chinense, I also like Rainforest and Bolsa de Dulce. This year I'm growing the Aji Jobito as my low/no heat pepper. I'm really looking forward to seeing how those turn out!

Good to know, i already have "Venezuelan Tiger" seeds, but not growing it this year.

I tought the "zavory" would be tastier, because it have a "thicker" wall.

Back