Habaneros...what to do?

I purchased these habaneros from Lowe's today for $12.99 on impulse (pushes me to over 80 plants now XD), I've been waiting patiently for any chinense plants to arrive there for quite a while...It's four plants in a tiny little planter...you can see their size.  I'm a little flabbergasted someone would do that.  I'm almost afraid to break them up at that stage, they're already blooming.  I'm thinking of a few options

1) cut the bottom of the pot and replant in something larger (so I can use the nifty cage still)
2) separate and go hydroponic or aquaponic immediately
3) let them be, maybe braid them carefully so I have some crazy looking dwarfed plants for a bonchi eventually
4) just repot, forget the cage or put something else in there

20140523_231356_zpsd7cfd5c6.jpg

What do you think?

If that's truly 4 plants, then their at the size that I wouldn't mess with them. Personally, I would just put them in a very large container and let 'em go. It may be possible the separate plants of that size - but you'd be pulling off some Kreskin mind tricks to make it happen!

It is fairly easy to separate the roots under water, slowly removing all the soil, then refreshing the water to see. Time consuming for sure, but you can do it wo much loss.

Agree with Zoli - If you prefer to separate them, remove from pot as a group, shake off as much soil as possible, then dip and swish in a bucket of water. Those four plants aren't full-size yet, and that pot is definitely tiny for four. However, if you want to do the bonchi thing, as JJJ noted, just move them to a bigger pot as a group. 

I got a 17 inch pot today just going to repot them in that and cram the cage over top of them in the soil.  I was looking at them today and they're probably too thick to try to braid even. *shrug*

Thanks for your replies
Zoli said:
It is fairly easy to separate the roots under water, slowly removing all the soil, then refreshing the water to see. Time consuming for sure, but you can do it wo much loss.

Zoli said:
They're already blooming like crazy at several nodes, messing with the roots too much could set them back at this point.

solid7 said:
Why mess with good growth?  Throw those in a bigger pot, feed them right, and let them go to town!
This is what I decided to do :)

I probably won't do it until tomorrow so if anyone had any other ideas feel free to chime in!  I'll post pics when I'm done!

I just say go big on that.  At LEAST a 10 gallon.  I'm a freak, though, so if you have the room and $, go for a 15 or 20. ;)

Back