Habenero or not

well i bought this at a garden center of HD and well it is labeled as a red hab, and well it was 1.99 that is why i sprung and got it. but now that it is setting pods i hve my doubts as if it is a hab or not. here are a couple pics i took yesterday
IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

well i bought this at a garden center of HD and well it is labeled as a red hab, and well it was 1.99 that is why i sprung and got it. but now that it is setting pods i hve my doubts as if it is a hab or not. here are a couple pics i took yesterday
IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

Negative on it being a Habanero.

I wonder if this is how Habanero x Jalapeño F1 pods would be?

its odd because a few of the pods are stubby but most seem to be this cylindrical shape. it was 1.99 and is seeming to be putting out a nice number of pods 15 or so right now. it will be interesting to see how they turn out heat/shape/color wise.

Eric

It does look like a jalabanero! Whatever that is :lol: Have you tried a pod yet? Looks like your gonna get your money worth anyway.

Growing both Jalapeno and Habanero this year, and this looks exactly like a cross.
If it preservers both type of burn will be interesting :)

Cya

Datil

It does look like a jalabanero! Whatever that is :lol: Have you tried a pod yet? Looks like your gonna get your money worth anyway.
i have yet to try a ripe pod! i am excited to see what they taste like and the heat level! but i will keep everyone posted! there are about 15-20 pods on it right now but they are all still small.

here are some updated pics of my mystery hab! pods are add looking!
IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

i know i will have to wait but maybe someone can shed some light on what they might be

Eric

OK I was wondering what everyone was basing their opinions on. Thanks for your comments willard3 and POTAWIE. It helps when folks give a reason for the decision they make.

i think since there are many you should eat one right away
they say the proof is in the pudding
and i think in chili the proof is in the eating
please try and taste one and report back

:dance:

i think since there are many you should eat one right away
they say the proof is in the pudding
and i think in chili the proof is in the eating
please try and taste one and report back

:dance:
i thought about it, but i will not get a true flavor or heat of the pepper till it fully ripens, so the waiting game continues till i get a ripe one!

The leaves, flowers and multiple chiles per node show it is indeed a C. chinense. if it's a 100% we can't tell, even though it is likely it isn't. beyond the fact it has several C. annuum qualities, like the beefy stems POTAWIE mentioned, most chiles are some sort of hybrid between species. the question is which species is dominant. in this case it's clearly a C. chinense. a "Habanero relative" if you wish.

Thnks Omri! :) as well as everyone else that has contributed to this topic! i am excited to taste the pods! if they are not that hot then the GF can enjoy them too!

Thnks Omri! :) as well as everyone else that has contributed to this topic! i am excited to taste the pods! if they are not that hot then the GF can enjoy them too!

When mine ripin, it would be interesting to compare if we have the same cross. I got about three squatty looking guys now and 5 or so of the longer ones.
005.jpg

I have a Habanero plant that has plenty of pods looking like these, however there are also normal looking pods now starting to form.

I think the pods formed this way due to spacing in their earlier days of growth, as the plant matures you'll probably find more hab looking pods develope. Also what colour have thos pods ripened too??

I have a Habanero plant that has plenty of pods looking like these, however there are also normal looking pods now starting to form.

I think the pods formed this way due to spacing in their earlier days of growth, as the plant matures you'll probably find more hab looking pods develope. Also what colour have thos pods ripened too??
i have yet to get a ripe pod! everyday i get home and the pods are bigger! so i am planning on trying one tongiht just to seewhat the insides look like. there are few pods that are shorter and stubbier. either way i will find use for the peppers! :cool:

well, i tried a pepper, and i wish i would have taken a picture of the inside. the skin was on the thin side had a chinense smell, so i ate it whole and at first had a green unripe pepper taste with a sweet fruity after taste very similar to a scotch bonnet. heat level was maybe a serano but it it hit right away and was all int the front of my mouth. i am really excited now to see just how hot and sweet they get when ripe. if it is a cross the only cross trait i can tell right now would be pod size. so next report will be a ripe pod.

Eric

Back