• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Habs not germin.. Bummed

Well, the plan this year was more habs, less supers.. Still have my Reapers, Brown Moruga, etc.. But my goal this year was more hab/bonnet. Ordered orange habs, mustard habs, peach habs, and scotch bonnets. Stoked, ready for another season.

My 20ish varieties sprouted without a problem.. except, you guess it. My habs and bonnets.

Orange Hab 0/6
Scotch Bonnet 0/3
Peach Hab 1/1
Mustard Hab 1/1

2 out of 11. Bummed. I do plant 2 seeds per tray and the mustard/peach did each have 2 successful sprouts. I split them off so now out of my 11 planned habanero plants, I have 5 counting my 3rd year red savina.. could be worse and I replanted orange habs and bonnets, but its getting late in the year. Next year I start in janurary incase of things like this

I had an issue with a couple varieties to this year.
I purchased a packet of brown moruga last year and grew one plant last year. This year, none of those seeds from that pack sprouted. I also only took 2-3 seeds from seed trains and a couple varieties never sprouted so I was fortunately able to get some replacements from some THP members early on, thankfully!

If you reside in the US, I can send you a few MOA and a I may have a few varieties of habs.

I appreciate the offer, but we will be ok. The fastest germs we got were from our saved seeds from last year. My goal is to get the varieties I like and just save my own seeds.. if I manage to get my orange habs up this season on my replant I will have pretty much everything. Probably 50% of my grow this year was my saved seeds from my best pods. I look forward to seeing the results of those

4 week mark was yesterday and yes, I use a heating mat at 85° ... 100% germination rate in all my other varietys. Bells, jalapenos, bhuts, morugas, pablanos, ot heim, wiri wiri. All kinds, 100% on all. Same seed treatment my habs and bonetts recieved. Ok, not 100% I guess. 100% of my varieties, but I plant 2 seeds per cell and not all of them grew 2, some only grew 1

Habs were a lot of trouble for me last year. I'm going to try again next week (I know... late), My MoA SBs really took off! I don't have a germination rate, as I didn't count my seeds prior, but I would guess at least 50%. One of my containers for greenhousing the seeds to germination didn't do well, while the other was probably 90%. Since they were from the same peppers, at least I know it wasn't the seeds.

I wasn't crazy about habs, but grew a few plants anyway, last year. The only ones that made it outside were a white lightning and a Caribbean red. They are frustrating.

Have heard lots of folk say Habs are persnickety.  Here they are one of the first to sprout.  Makes a person wonder what folk are doing differently.  Willing to bet it is the ph in our water, something  a lot of us ignore.  I know I have a ph meter somewhere but never look for it unless I suspect a problem.

Habs are our household favorite for powders. I should check our ph again. I have a meter and ph up/down. Just weird everything else didnt seem to mind.

This is my over winter hab in bonchi form. Waiting for a new pot this spring for yet another year. First pepper I ever grew

KuxECH2.jpg

Back