• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hacked up Orange Hab

This year my habs have lasted longer than ever before, even sprouting new growth, so I'm hoping they'll even live through the winter. I've trimmed one right back rose bush style(see picture). Have I been too savage or is this what I should be aiming for? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

HackJob002.jpg

SeeYouJimmy said:
This year my habs have lasted longer than ever before, even sprouting new growth, so I'm hoping they'll even live through the winter. I've trimmed one right back rose bush style(see picture). Have I been too savage or is this what I should be aiming for? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

HackJob002.jpg

I wouldve also cut the 2 branches you left. Thats what i did about a month ago with my monkey face, i fed it with some GA to extend the grow season supposedly, and now its doing fine, looking like a bonzai with new thick branches, even though it has no direct sunlight in the windowsill in my kitchen. The plant will branch out fine even if you dont leave the two branches, and the positive side will be that you will have a bushier plant which will expand nicely on the way up reaching the height where you left it today.

Thanks Lavish, now I can go and hack the rest of them. :)

Novacastrian said:
Can you decrease the size of the pot whilst overwintering?

I was planning on keeping it in the ground over winter to see if it can survive. Have plenty of seeds to grow for next year so not too fussed if it dies.

Newbie question time! :P

Is this really necessary in southeastern Australia?

What would happen if you left the plant as it was over our winter?

I cut all my plants down to a 5 inch stump, they are doing great. Also, WAX THE TOPS!

If you dont they might dry out and die! One guy here already learned that lesson!

LancelBracken said:
Newbie question time! :P

Is this really necessary in southeastern Australia?

What would happen if you left the plant as it was over our winter?

I've been growing these for a few years and they've never survived the winter before but I have them in a much more sheltered position this year. They usually up and die on me by April but it's now close to June and I'm still getting pods. Picked about 50 today and probably the same left on them which should be ready by end of week. Not as hot as earlier pods though.

RichardK said:
I cut all my plants down to a 5 inch stump, they are doing great. Also, WAX THE TOPS!

If you dont they might dry out and die! One guy here already learned that lesson!

Thanks mate. I can't seem to find info in search about wax and I'm a gardening fool.... What type of wax should I be using?

SeeYouJimmy said:
Thanks mate. I can't seem to find info in search about wax and I'm a gardening fool.... What type of wax should I be using?

I used birthday candles, just light them and drip wax on the cut side.

Any candle should do, as long as it's non toxic.

Like this.....I used a beeswax candle, but any wax candle should work. The wax keeps moisture in and pathogens out.

This is a baccatum, a pea chile.

IMG_4201.jpg

Back