• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Halide light - too much light for my plants?

Hi guys

I couldn't find any existing topics on this so hopefully I'm not repeating something that was already asked.

In my grow cupboard I've got a halide lamp (150W) and in the last few days I noticed that the two fatalis that sit directly under it started getting yellow leaves. Plus they aren't as big as the plants around them which don't sit directly under the lamp.

The distance between the lamp and the tops of these two plants was 40cm (15 inches). I have now moved them a bit further out.

This only happened a couple of days ago - I definitely don't overwater them, I only do this every 3-4 days depending on how dry the soil is. I did have some aphids all over my plants about a week ago after which I had to spray them, again I sprayed all the plants - not just these two.

Here are the two guys in question - I've already moved them from under the light to the side. The leaves don't look as yellow in the pic but compare to the rest of the plants they are definitely a different colour:
2014_08_15_08_35_10.jpg

So I was wondering whether anyone had same problems and whether this is indeed too much light for these two? Or if it's some kind of a disease and I should move them away from the rest of the plants?

15 inches can be too close for the HID's even though yours is relatively low wattage. if all your other plants are doing fine and that's the only different variable then it looks like you got it under control.

hard to see, but i would guess your plants fine? the lower leaves are yellow, meaning possibly nitrogen deficiency, and maby a bit of calcium deficiency? but i dont see any burn or distortion from lights?

i had a tobasco plant getting too close to a 600w HPS, and the damage is an up ward cupping of the leaf margins. The leaves tended to roll up when too close.
when they get WAY to close they bleach out and eventually burn.

your plants look ok to me...sans the issues i mentioned above, but maby post some more photos.

Swampy_NZ said:
Thats not damage from the lights.By the looks of the yellowing bottom leaves I would say lack of nitrogen.
Welcome to THP.Good to see another Kiwi here.  :)
There are a few of us around ...
They look fine to me ... especially if they aren't as yellow as the picture shows ... the two bottom most leaves (smaller ones) always yellow and fall off as the plant gets older ...
I guess the best thing to do is to tell us what is in your soil and what you sprayed on the plant for aphids? Then we could make more educated guesses.

Hey thanks guys! maybe I used different soil in this pot although I thought it was all the same. I'll get some feed for these plants today so hopefully these will keep cranking.

Here are a few more pics of the two that have gone a bit yellow:
2014_08_15_09_28_23.jpg

2014_08_15_09_28_00.jpg

Here is another Fatalii sitting next to these guys, it's about twice the size and not yellow at all:
2014_08_15_09_28_14.jpg

Ok cool thanks for that I'll just stick to what I've been doing so far.

Plus my wife just finally let me buy a 6x8 polycarb greenhouse so will assemble it this weekend and will put everything in there. This halide is good but i'm sure natural lighting will be even better.

Some chilli varieties in my experience also have a natural tendency to a lighter green colour of foliage (not saying this is the case here but something to keep in mind).
My Douglah plant always had much lighter green foliage then my other chinense ... identical growing conditions otherwise. And this continued in its offspring so was obviously a genetic disposition

Trippa said:
There are a few of us around ...
They look fine to me ... especially if they aren't as yellow as the picture shows ... the two bottom most leaves (smaller ones) always yellow and fall off as the plant gets older ...
I guess the best thing to do is to tell us what is in your soil and what you sprayed on the plant for aphids? Then we could make more educated guesses.
Hey I used "Spray Safe" when i sprayed for aphids - the dude at Switched On Gardener said its good. And the soil that i've been using so far is Terazilla (I think thats the right name) also from SOG.
Trippa said:
Some chilli varieties in my experience also have a natural tendency to a lighter green colour of foliage (not saying this is the case here but something to keep in mind).
My Douglah plant always had much lighter green foliage then my other chinense ... identical growing conditions otherwise. And this continued in its offspring so was obviously a genetic disposition
Awesome thanks mate yeah maybe I'm just too paranoid - it's my first year growing from seeds, before that my mates just hooked me up with seedlings.

But yeah sounds good I'll see how they get on maybe as you say it's just the plant.
queequeg152 said:
pics plz.

or it didnt happen.
Hahaha here you go its just in two boxes all packaged up still, I only picked it up last night. Will definitely add a pic once it's assembled.

2014_08_15_10_13_49.jpg

I would keep them under the halide at least until mid September as it still bloody cold at night.
If you can spare a bit more $$ buy a thermostat and fan for the summer for the green house.I  got one from easygrow for $60 and had a fan lying around.It will help in Jan and Feb when the greenhouse will heat up like a furnace

Swampy_NZ said:
I would keep them under the halide at least until mid September as it still bloody cold at night.
If you can spare a bit more $$ buy a thermostat and fan for the summer for the green house.I  got one from easygrow for $60 and had a fan lying around.It will help in Jan and Feb when the greenhouse will heat up like a furnace
Oh sweet yup thanks mate I was actually looking at those, my neighbour (who I think is also on these forums) has got a similar green house just a bit bigger, said that even in the last few weeks his greenhouse got up to 40 degrees C so i figured in January/February i'll definitely need to sort some cooling.
nzchili said:
Welcome, from another NZer :)
whats the car? bug eye?
Hey thanks mate. Oh nah although I can see how you got it from that shot - its an HX wagon. Ive just dropped a 253 into it, hopefully will have it all hooked up and certed by summer although its hard to find time with the kids and all my hobbies. But we'll get there.

SentencedToBurn said:
Sweet heres the greenhouse pic as promised. This thing took ages to assemble. Will get the shelving in next weekend and will start moving my plants in there.
2014_08_17_16_43_08.jpg
looking good! ill start leaving plants out (covered) in a couple of weeks I reckon. Have had some of my plants outside during the day the last couple of days..things are warming up!

Back