• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening Mature Plant

I got a container grown, full size jalapeno that was raised under a covered porch, given to me. It is several monhs old, about 2 foot tall, and never produced a pod. It produces lots of flowers but they have always dropped off. The guy has given up on it. When I try to put it in the direct, and down here direct is quite severe, sunlight it droops right away. I have done this for several days and it does not appear to be hardening at all. Any suggestions from the hive?

hardening them off is a process and cannot be done right away. you have to give it a little more sun everyday. i would be just giving it morning sun and then add a some time to its sun exposure everyday. eventually it will get use to it. i planted a plant from my aerogarden to reg. soil outside in full sun it looked very wilted for a few days but it held its own and is doing good. i think it took about a week or so but as i said add a little more time of sun exposure everyday dont overdue it

You can do an accelerated hardening process that I just started using this season. Water it very well and place in full sun for a half hour. Next, back into the shade for a half hour break (water if needed). Back into the sun for an hour then a shady rest for another half hour. Increase the amount of sun the plant gets all day by a half hour or so keeping a really good eye to see if it is drooping. Water as necessary.

I hardened an entire try of seedlings in a couple days and they are doing great!!! Give it a shot, and see how it goes.

It is in a 5 gallon bucket. I do not think it is root bound. Just tender.

It is in the sun now, drooping.

You can do an accelerated hardening process that I just started using this season. Water it very well and place in full sun for a half hour. Next, back into the shade for a half hour break (water if needed). Back into the sun for an hour then a shady rest for another half hour. Increase the amount of sun the plant gets all day by a half hour or so keeping a really good eye to see if it is drooping. Water as necessary.

I hardened an entire try of seedlings in a couple days and they are doing great!!! Give it a shot, and see how it goes.

Sounds like a plan, I will try it out.

Thanks

Back