• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Hardening off and CMH HID lights

I have a bunch of peppers that I've been growing under 315W CMH lights. They've been sitting 12-24 inches underneath these lights, which are pretty hot. I haven't been bringing them outside much, because we keep getting nighttime temps in the 40s, and it's a lot of pots to move. Do they need to be hardened off against the sun, given that they've been under hot CMH lights? I've put a number of other plants (nasturtiums, mint, chives, cauliflower) that I had under these lights directly out in the sun, and they didn't seem to be hurt. But I also care a lot more about these peppers.
PXL_20230601_150035737.jpg

PXL_20230523_140248867.jpg

We switched from Fluorescents to LEDs this year. Wish we had waited for 3 more weeks to start our seeds.
Our plants were ready way too soon yet we still had to harden them off.

For the first week we used a shade cloth over them outside. Every time it was forecast to dip to 40 we brought them inside.
In years past I believe my peppers were set back when they got chilled or were planted in to cold of soil.

This season has been very cool & we had to wait until May 11th to plant last year it was April 20th.

1685634085614.png
1685634218811.png

Cold I'm not worried about. Rather, if it's going to get cold, I'll bring them inside.

I'm wondering if plants right under ceramic metal halide lighting (which is hot and has UV-A), need to be shaded when they go outside.

I'm wondering if plants right under ceramic metal halide lighting (which is hot and has UV-A), need to be shaded when they go outside.
I have never jumped my starts into full sunlight without a shade cloth or sprayed with Surround Plant protectant.
Man made lights are way cool however they have nothing on old Sol for burning power. we can't buy the peppers that we plant
locally. So why not err on the safe side?

I think the hardening process is necessary to allow the plants to adapt and get used to strong UV rays and then to a lesser extent to temperature and wind, although shock might also be an issue if it there is a big difference between your indoor temperature and your outdoor temperature...

I think the hardening process is necessary to allow the plants to adapt and get used to strong UV rays and then to a lesser extent to temperature and wind, although shock might also be an issue if it there is a big difference between your indoor temperature and your outdoor temperature...
I've found that skipping hardening results in the plants not establishing as fast, and dealing with a little bit of shock for the first week or so. But as long as there's no frost they usually recover. There can be some loss, though (I experience about 10%), so if you are able to do it I still recommend it. I don't just because of the number of plants I deal with.

I've found that skipping hardening results in the plants not establishing as fast, and dealing with a little bit of shock for the first week or so. But as long as there's no frost they usually recover. There can be some loss, though (I experience about 10%), so if you are able to do it I still recommend it. I don't just because of the number of plants I deal with.
Are your plants not getting sunburn? If I put my plants in the raised beds too quickly (started indoor under led lamps) and without proper hardening they will definitely get badly damaged by the sun... Or maybe you start them all in a greenhouse đŸ¤”

We have been painting our little ones white & any other plants in July's 90s with Surround with 100% no sunburn.

The Sun has become more intense as skin cancer has increased in humans. Sunscald is real & can damage your plants.

Reactions: Bou
We have been painting our little ones white & any other plants in July's 90s with Surround with 100% no sunburn.

The Sun has become more intense as skin cancer has increased in humans. Sunscald is real & can damage your plants.

I'm using it too (generic kaolin clay) and it's helping a lot đŸ‘Œ

Back