• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hardening off early in the season

I'm in zone 6B and the nights are still a bit chilly. In the past I've waited till the last week in may to move my plants outside. Here's my question though, provided the temps never drop below 32* the plants in theory should survive, right?

eda4a6bde29d0653b2abdc703bef9e3d.jpg

Im experimenting with just 2 of my plants right now. They have been outside in the shade for 2 days now and seem healthy. I'm going to gradually move them into partial sun in a few more days. If all goes well I plan to move all of my other plants outside. I have around 60 of them so I really don't want to bring them back in every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they protected at night, e.g., in a greenhouse? I typically don't let mine stay outside the greenhouse until around overnight 50s. I just worry that I've put all the work into a lot of plants and they might get whacked by a freak frost or windy night. 38 and precipitation could be dicey.

Jeff, mine have been in/out on the deck for the last couple weeks, and I'm in zone THREE!! Our weather has been identical to yours since late February and my aji amarillos and two Trinidad Moruga Scorpions (from seed you sent, thanks!) have been in as much full sun I can give them every day.

When the temps are above 50 and the winds not too bad (I live on a plain) I'll leave them out all day. They show no signs of stress. Granted, the plants I'm doing this with aren't exactly children (planted in November/December), but they are loving the Spring sun.

At sundown, or if temps drop below 50, they come back into the house. We still frost and even hard freeze here this time of year, in fact have had 36 inches of snow in April one year, but the weather has been extraordinary this year, and I'm taking full advantage!

stettoman said:
my aji amarillos and two Trinidad Moruga Scorpions (from seed you sent, thanks!) have been in as much full sun I can give them every day.

Im glad Those are growing well for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back