• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening Off Question Part 2

So the weather here has changed to cloudy and overcast and I started my hardening off today for the bulk of my plants after hardening off a tray of extras last week when it was sunny and hot. My question is this how does the overcast weather affect the process. It seems obvious that they can stay out longer but if the whole week is overcast and then the sun comes out will I have to then kind of re-harden them to the sun even though they've been out for a full week 24/7 ?

Here's a couple of Carolina Reapers that were hardened during sunny and hot weather

IMG_5086.jpg

Here's the group that's outside now when the weather has changed

IMG_5065.jpg

You have a bit more flexiblity when it is overcast and not as warm or hot. I would still avoid leaving them out between 11 and 3 for at least a week. I am overcast about 5 days a week before the sun comes out. I have put trays of seedlings on racks covered in shadecloth all day and they did fine. I would not do it if it was hot though. Take your time. Whats a few days here and there.

You have a bit more flexiblity when it is overcast and not as warm or hot. I would still avoid leaving them out between 11 and 3 for at least a week. I am overcast about 5 days a week before the sun comes out. I have put trays of seedlings on racks covered in shadecloth all day and they did fine. I would not do it if it was hot though. Take your time. Whats a few days here and there.

Yes but hardening off is to acclimate the plants to outside conditions and SUN if there is no SUN will I need to re-harden them to the sun even though they have been out all week?

I guess what I meant is I do it at the same speed, no matter what 10-14 days. I have hardened off plants in the SW desert, in perfect conditions, and cool climates. Your plants look great.Take your time.

Thanks all ! Our weather is fickle hot and sunny one week cooler and overcast with rain the next. Last week in the sunny weather the plants stayed out 1 hour the first day. Today for the rest I gave them 3 hours before moving them back under the porch canopy.

It was supposed to be 82 here yesterday and today. That would have been perfect, but I am sitting in fog instead. Like Oregon, if it heats up too much in the valley, the beaches are foggy and windy. I guess most growers can relate.

Back