• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening off temps

I have about a dozen or so plants of the chinense variety that I plan to harden off for the '14 season. These plants are all about a year old and in 1-3 gallon pots. I started these plants from seed and they have been in a grow room their entire lives and have never seen natural sunlight. The grow room stays at about 70-80ºF year round.

Living in Southern IL the weather hasn't been the warmest or most ideal temps for growing. However, this looks to be the first week that outdoor temps will stay consistently above 55ºF and up into the 60s for the highs.

I'm wondering if I can begin to harden some of my more mature/larger plants in these outdoor temps for a few hours per day for the next couple weeks. Am I being a little ambitious in trying to get a head start on the hardening? Should I wait a little longer as to not stunt/shock these plants too much?

I also have a few overwintered plants that have bounced back strong that I'm also considering hardening off as well as some of my larger tomato plants. It would be nice to free up some space in the grow room.

Thanks, Chris

I guess I'm just being a little to trigger happy with the upcoming season. Most of these plants are flowering as well, I pretty much expect them to be dropped though.

How much warmer would you suggest it to be, before I do this?

I like to look at the 10 day forecast at a minimum. If only the first few days are warm and the next 7 are cold, not sure how much benefit you will get putting them outdoors. I hate risking the bug factor until I am ready to get them outside for the season. I am also not a pro grower, these are just my preferences. :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
 I hate risking the bug factor until I am ready to get them outside for the season. 

That's a good point, but I doubt there's anything out there this early in the season that would harm my plants more than the aphids that are already on them. Hell, maybe those green bastiges will attract some beneficial insects!  ;) Or maybe I'm just projecting my cabin fever on my plants and assuming they can't wait to feel the sun either!

I started leaving mine out overnight about a week ago, when the low temps reached 50F+.   A few of the plants looked slightly wilted the first morning, but perked up quickly.  After another night or two they all acclimated and are doing fine. 

You might wait a little longer, or perhaps start leaving them out an hour later each night. ???

Back