• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hardening off

I have two Peter pepper seedlings about an inch tall in a germination station with a heating element. It was recommended that the heating element be removed and the dome removed so the seedlings get some air and don't get fungus. Can I just remove the dome or should I open the air vents in the dome for several hours a day over a weeks time? The seedlings are in the house and will remain in there. Also they are under a T5 fluorescent light. Thanks.

Starting pretty late eh? If it's REALLY humid in there, and you just remove the cover, the seedings could wilt due to the shock of dry air... I'd suggest weening them off the humid air little by little.

Unless you are growing them indoors, it's too late for you to get any fruit at this time of year, if you are from Illinois, you probably have from 1 1/2 to 2 months max left before it gets too cold outside.

I am growing them indoors. Starting off with a metal halide and then ill switch over to the high pressure sodium bulb. Just wanted to give it a shot, if it works, great. If it doesn't ill be selling it all on ebay. Thanks again for the advice, greatly appreciated.

post some pics kc...like they say...a pic is worth a thousand words...

check your messages...

gotta talk about hardening off...to me, hardening off is the process you follow when moving the plants outside....mainly for sunscald prevention...but lets face it...it is for a lot more than that...wind, sun, pests, hard rain/hail...

When my plants are ready to be moved outside, they go under 70% shade cloth for about a week or two, then get moved out into the full sun gradually building up to all day...I start with an hour for 2 days, then 2 hrs for three days, then 4 hours for 3 days, then 8 for three days, then all day...of course, each plant/variety hardens off differently...

the main thing is not to get your plants scalded by the sun and let them be able to stand outside winds...

for simply moving the plants from a closed 86F environment to somewhere in the house that is probably 72-74F, no hardening off is needed/required IMO....

I keep my air vents open from word go and still get 80-90% germination so I must be doing something right.

As for removing the heat mat, I would only be doing that if the temperature of your soil is higher than ideal. Not sure what that is in fahrenheit, but for celsius it is about 28-32. Anything higher than ideal, remove the heat mat; anything lower, keep it on!

Back