• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening Off

I searched this topic and basically came up with no definable procedure. A lot of possible results from not doing so, and or inadequately.
I have lucked out in the past due to cooperating weather, but I have never been faced with transitioning so many plants. It would be next to impossible to move all the plants back and forth from grow room to daylight (150+). Many of the plants I have will go to the ground and are currently in 12oz solo cups.
I am looking for a variety of systems of various degrees to get some ideas to choose from that may make this job a little easier to get through in addition to being successful as I don't want to come home from work in 2 weeks to find my plants melting all over the place.

just put them outside but in the shade for a few days. Under a tree is good. They will still get reflected / dappled light but not direct high intensity stuff. I did this and had minimal sunburn.

What about sun screens or netting? beneficial in any way or no?
I'm really beginning to think I need a green house.

HP22BH said:
       I work 10 hour days,moving them in and out or around was not an option.I waited for an upcoming weekend that was going to be cloudy and put them all outside.They were pissed but survived.It is not advisable to do it like this,but it was what I did.I did have my 50% nylon shade over them the whole time for a week,and I am sure that helped.

Yes, hardening off can be a PITA for those of us who work away from the plants for a good chunk of the day. As noted above, if you have a shady spot, that is the best place to start. Mostly just do some observation over the weekend. I keep my garage door open and put them just inside while hardening off. In the morning the sun comes just to the edge of the garage. Mid-day it comes inside just a couple feet. By afternoon it's back to the edge of the garage. So find what the sun and shade do at various times of day, whether it's shade from a structure or surrounding plants, and put your plants where they'll start with less sunlight. Yes, shade cloth is good if you can't find a good spot, and it comes in different densities so you can switch out a heavier cloth for a lighter one as needed. 

HP22BH said:

Absolutely!

Set up a tent / shade of netting that allows a few hours of morning sun.  The plants should be more or less OK with that.  After a week or so, start rolling back the shade, increasing am + pm sun time by an hour or so per day.  By the end of another week, you should be done.

I basically didn't harden mine off at all this year. They had a fan on them 2-4 hours a day, and 20,000 lumens of light for 3 months inside. 

When I wanted to plant them in ground, I put them outside in their trays for 8 hours on a cloudy day (around 60 degrees). Then, I worked for a few days, and on my next day off put them out on a sunny day (70 or so degrees). A week or so passed, and I planted them in the ground one evening with a forecast of 70 and sunny the next day. None drooped a bit over any of this....and all seem healthy. So, I would say, if they are under a powerful light, and a fan, you might get away with not hardening too much. 

-From a 3rd season grower.

I barely hardened off my 6 super hots I ordered. They went from delivery to full sun. Pretty much lost all the leaves, and then they came back with more leaves and are doing well ^_^

Most of what I have outside so far was put out during overcast conditions and in a matter of a few days hardened off, as they have endured many days of hot sunny conditions that should have taxed then for what they are worth. We were supposed to get 4 days of rain starting today so I planted all of the Serranos from Mexico originating pods. Well, rain early AM and then SUN. Hot, bright and relentless. The seemingly good news though is, although a few of the leaves were compromised, the plants as a whole are doing remarkably well. I am encouraged to try some of the other plants waiting anxiously to join them.

Back