• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Harrowing harangues of Habanero horrors...

The leaves have always looked like this;

LeafCurl.jpg

I've given them Epsom salt; micro nutrients including calcium and magnesium, zinc, boron, copper, iron, etc., etc.
A virus is the only thing I can think of.

And now there is this;

Fruit-BrownCrown.jpg

And this;

Fruit-BrownCrown-2.jpg

The stem and crown of the fruit is turning brown on these, the first and second of the new fruits.

The plant is setting new fruit like there is no tomorrow; half the flowers are dropping and the other half are setting fruit. This brown thing has me worried. Help!?
Thanks

I'd like to know too, have had the same problem with more than one of my plants, but the cupping is not as bad as yours. patchy colouring on the leaves and some brown spotting aswell, does yours suffer from this too?

Grimus said:
I'd like to know too, have had the same problem with more than one of my plants, but the cupping is not as bad as yours. patchy colouring on the leaves and some brown spotting aswell, does yours suffer from this too?

No leaf spotting; just what you see in the pictures. Until I got coir plugs I never got one Habanero seed to germinate. The plant in the pictures is the only one to germinate and my mate in a neighboring town just happen to get lucky with this one. We're talking maybe out of 100 seeds in the dirt.
I think Thai soil is full of lots of nasty things Habaneros have no tolerance for or protection from. I'm looking seriously at going hydroponic.
I've got about 10 sprouts in coir plugs now and I don't want to put them in the dirt. At least until I know what's going on.
Good luck to you.

Grimus said:
what about container growing?

Ya, I have put everything in pots. I've used dirt from my property, and 3 different potting soils from 3 different, distinct areas to try and germinate seeds. The present and only plant is in a pot; always has been. I have the plant because my mates in England for 4 months. When I got the plant it hadn't flowered yet.
I'm at my wits end on this; no idea what to do. That's why I'm probably going hydroponic.
I visited a hydro farm today and everything looks fantastic. It will be an easy and cheap transition for me if I go for it. :think:

if its a cheap option for you then go for it, less variables means less headaches :). I hope it works out for you mate, sounds like you could do with a break

Found this bit of info online, if it helps...

(Source: http://aaqua.persistent.co.in/aaqua/forum/viewthread?thread=8611)
Leaf curl of chilli -

Leaves curl towards midrib and become deformed.
Stunted plant growth due to shortened internodes and leaves greatly reduced in size.
Flower buds abcise before attaining full size and anthers do not contain pollen grains.

The virus is generally transmitted by whitefly.
So control measures of whitefly in this regard would be helpful.

Whiteflies can be effectively attracted and controlled by yellow sticky traps, which are coated with grease and sticky oils.
Spray Triazophos 2ml/litre of water or Prophanophos 2 ml/litre of water.
Spraying of any Neem product (5% Neem oil before egg laying) or 5 kg Neem Kernel extract per acre with any sticky material.

Hmmmm...on further exploration of the academic literature present (don't I feel all 'professory' :P), it seems whitefly might be the main culprit for your problems if it is Pepper Leaf Curl...but a lot of other people on the web give various reasons, from overwatering to lack of nitrogen...:think:

Aji Chombo said:
Found this bit of info online, if it helps...

(Source: http://aaqua.persistent.co.in/aaqua/forum/viewthread?thread=8611)
Leaf curl of chilli -

Leaves curl towards midrib and become deformed.
Stunted plant growth due to shortened internodes and leaves greatly reduced in size.
Flower buds abcise before attaining full size and anthers do not contain pollen grains.

Hmmmm...on further exploration of the academic literature present (don't I feel all 'professory' :P), it seems whitefly might be the main culprit for your problems if it is Pepper Leaf Curl...but a lot of other people on the web give various reasons, from overwatering to lack of nitrogen...:think:

Thanks for the reply; no evidence of white fly at this time and it's impossible for over watering or nitrogen deficiency. I don't water until I see leaf droop (and I check the soil) and I'm using 8-24-24 for flowers and fruit.

^ Aphids? Yes, about 3 weeks ago, but I used a very effective (if somewhat toxic) insecticide in the carbamate family. I caught them early and no sign of return. I forgot to mention that there is/was a curious non-circular concentrically ringed "growth" ( looked fuzzy and white) on the underside of some of the leaves. I sprayed that with a 3% hydrogen peroxide/water (50/50) mixture and that seemed to take care of it.

Your first pic looks like what happened to half of one of my plants. I ended up cutting the bad half off but I still don't know what caused it and why only half the plant(exactly in half)

I would give it plain water and see if it bounces -- could be a fert o/d after you had seen trouble or from the aphid spray.

Have you checked the PH of your soil as well as your water? Many of the nutrients a plant needs are locked from it if a proper PH range isn't provided. I shoot for a PH between 6 and 6.5.

Silver_Surfer said:
Have you checked the PH of your soil as well as your water? Many of the nutrients a plant needs are locked from it if a proper PH range isn't provided. I shoot for a PH between 6 and 6.5.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a PH tester; I may be seeing somebody today who can tell me where to find one. This has been a worry.

LUCKYDOG said:
I would give it plain water and see if it bounces -- could be a fert o/d after you had seen trouble or from the aphid spray.

Other than a foliar application of calcium and micro-nutrients 2 days ago, I haven't fertilized in almost 2 weeks.

Aji Chombo said:
It may have been caused by the aphids...was it a particularly bad infestation?

This is a good resource for troubleshooting chilli pepper problems:

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_disease.php

as is this one:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ549.html

Thanks for the links.
I caught the aphids very quickly and they haven't returned. I'm out inspecting the plant every 2 hours or so. We're in the middle of summer here (36/37c everyday) and it's very dry (no rain for 3 months) so things can happen very fast.

AjarnV said:
I've given them Epsom salt; micro nutrients including calcium and magnesium, zinc, boron, copper, iron, etc., etc.

I went by this and thought you done this recently -- epsom salt is used as a form of magnesium btw -- make sure you are not overwatering as well

LUCKYDOG said:
I went by this and thought you done this recently -- epsom salt is used as a form of magnesium btw -- make sure you are not overwatering as well

It was a foliar application strictly according to instructions. Nothing but water in the soil for 2 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions.
After all is said and done; I think the soil here is pretty bad and may be the source of the trouble. A university loaned me a hydroponic system today and I'm going to give that a try. I can get everything I need for hydroponics along with great support; so that's my next project which I should have going in a couple of days. Thanks.

Back