• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Has anyone ever heard of Sekana (sp?) from Mozambique?

So my wife and I stopped at a Mozambican restaurant in Lisbon while on our honeymoon, and we ordered samosas for our appetizer. These were much smaller than typical Indian samosas, and filled with ground chicken and cilantro and plenty of other things, which I forgot. They were delicious. However, they were served with a hot sauce (more akin to a salsa with the large chunks), which the owner called "sekana." I don't know if I'm spelling that right. He told me he makes it with piri-piri, olive oil, lemon juice, green mangoes, and herbs (It tasted like it may have been thyme). It was fermented, spicy, and delicious. We gushed over it. I talked with him about the hot sauce I make, blah blah blah. I bought a large jar of the condiment from him for ten euro.

Anyway, when we left Lisbon to go to Dublin, like a dumbass, I packed it in my carry-on, and they confiscated it. I wasn't about to pay $XX to ship it back to the US and go through security again, so I just let them take it. We had to catch our flight.

So, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Have you tried this stuff? Better yet, does anyone have a recipe? We emailed the guy and contacted him on Facebook to buy another jar from him, but he hasn't responded, and it's been nearly a month. I want to figure out how this delicious shit is made, cause I'm ready to go to the Indian grocery store and buy a ton of green mangoes, like yesterday.

Edit: the more I look for it, the more I find recipes for what looks to be Portuguese meatloaf (they speak Portuguese in Mozambique). Maybe I misheard the guy. But this isn't your typical piri-piri hot sauce. We ate at a Nando's in Dublin, and while the hottest sauce was good, I'm sure most of us would consider it to be tame, and the only thing it had in common with this restaurant owner's fermented salsa was the use of citrus and thyme/oregano flavors.

Attachments

• EA976CFA-71BC-425B-9BCA-46B6DA171750.jpeg
    EA976CFA-71BC-425B-9BCA-46B6DA171750.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 115
The sauce is from when Mozambique was a Portuguese colony. Much like how the UK has different Indian food. It should be that one. It's served on the national dish piri piri chicken and they also use it to marinate shrimp. There's a bunch of recipes floating around. 

Back