• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Has anyone successfully crossed C. galapagoense?

I know they're supposed to cross with C. annuum but then produce non viable seed and that 915river has attempted a cross with a Bhut Jolokia and called it Impact.

But has anyone else on here experienced a successful cross?

I've had enough dramas just getting the buggers to grow let alone trying to cross 'em with anything!

It will be interesting to see if anyone else other than Vlad has been successful at cross-breeding it though....

Yes, me too. I have five plants going right now and I feel like I never want to let them die if I can help it. I've read that C. annuum var. glabriusculum, C. chacoënse and C. galapagoense may all be able to cross-breed and in fact one of my C. galapagoenses is all fuzzy, but otherwise looks more like a Sonoran Chiltepin (C. annuum var. glabriusculum) I'm growing, but I will have to wait until they all produce fruit to see if it's more than just simple variation within C. galapagoense.

Germination was a pain, almost gave up, then i scarified my 8 seeds as last resort and few months later i now have 4 super bushy galapagoense with pods. They are in 5 gallon root pouches, promix-compost-tomato-tone-vermiculite mix. Been feeding them worm casting tea as well.

Galapagoense with pods few days ago
P1020974.jpg

I have not taken a pic of the whole plant since 2 weeks ago, but you can prob imagine its real bushy now. Pretty sure its the worm castings tea ive been making ;)
P1020891.jpg

Maybe ill try my hand at crossing. Gots lots of candidates here. Growing over 50 varietes.

Excellent looking plants PepperJam. I'll definitely be giving it a try once I get some flowers on mine. One of my favorite plants I have is a Florida Wild (C. annuum var. glabriusculum), if I catch them flowering at the same time I'll try that cross.

Do the flowers on the C. galapagoense produce a lot of pollen? I'm thinking of using them as the "father" and then looking for the furriness in the offspring to confirm the cross was actually made.

Yeah, I'm hoping to have one here before too long.

I'll join in on the crossing fun... I have a chacoense, and a c. praeternissum I can try, along with a variety of annums and chinenses.

Back