• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hatch chili time!

There's something about Hatch. 'nuff said.
MOST DEFINITELY! Tonight did black beans with a smoke roasted Hatch, half yellow onion, sautéed in beef tallow, mixed in a can of black beans, seasoned with dat and pepper, let it simmer down, and dang. Amazing. Sweet. Touch of heat. Only thing that woulda made it better was some corn added in. UNFORTUNATELY wifey doesn’t eat corn. 🙄 Oh yeah, and baby back ribs with my pork rub and latest iteration of my my bbq sauce!

Attachments

• 34D519FA-21C5-466F-A8C1-B31FCAB5529B.jpeg
    34D519FA-21C5-466F-A8C1-B31FCAB5529B.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 93
  • B8F80329-F9D7-4D7D-A78D-0FF983252351.jpeg
    B8F80329-F9D7-4D7D-A78D-0FF983252351.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Howdy! I saw the first batch of Hatch chile being roasted yesterday, it was from young guns out of Hatch (Great Farmers!) You got an early batch of Chile for sure. Usually the roasting begins in August/September. A lot of green chile is coming out of Lemitar, New Mexico, way different taste, more like a hay flavor. I am hoping this year will be a hot batch, The farmers had to struggle with water issues this year, as it is a pretty dry this season. Cheers!

No doubt about it being an early batch. First time I have ever got immediate sweet taste, then a touch of heat.

My wife’s grandad and dad are from Las Cruces. Only time I have been out that way was when we all went 8 or 9 years ago. Literally every single roasting stand in Mesilla Valley….SOLD OUT. Was disappointed about that. Was NOT disappointed that wife’s grandad was born and raised there. Got many dozens of Roberto’s tortillas and tamales fresh out the door. Best tamales on earth!!!

I bought 25# of the early harvest. I wanted extra hot, but my local Dillon's store only had hot. My impression: wait for a later harvest. These had some nice heat, but lacked the charachteristic green chile flavor.

Last edited:
I bought 25# of the early harvest. I wanted extra hot, but my local Dillon's store only had hot. My impression: wait for a later harvest. These had some nice heat, but lacked the charachteristic green chile flavor.

Glad I took a raincheck! :D

I’m going to test one of my green Joe E. Parker’s today (had a crack in it 🙄). Going to let all the rest go red. Will report back after I try it.

So, test taste result. Very crunchy, bell pepper but better (?) taste. Heat was black peppercorn ish (back of mouth heat but not the throat punch that black peppercorn does ). VERY pleasant! Can’t wait to see how they taste ripe! Then ripe and roasted! Then turned into red sauce for red Chile and pork and stacked red enchilada!

Young Guns are the good ones we get around here in Sw colorado. Next year i'll have another good garden spot to plant all my own in the ground again. My favorite are the Barker and the Lumbre. Going to give the Rattlesnake a go and i'm still looking for the Zuni Peublo seeds.

Young Guns are excellent. There was this one year that the XXX Lumbre was super hot. I will check if I have seeds left from that year. Not sure why that year produced the heat, but the years after that, all the lumbre were more mild. I will ride up to the Chile Konnection this week to see what they have (correct spelling btw, and they don't take kredit Kards lol) The owners dont speak much english and drive down to Hatch in a beat up pickup truck. Cheers!

Well went to the Chile Konnection today, took a bunch of pics, but they didn't come out. The owner is going to join the site, and was pretty excited to know there are fellow pepper folks out there. Got a pound of xxx lumbre powder and sun dried some seeds from a xxx lumbre, I will be sharing the seeds and powder of course. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220825_194258.jpg
    20220825_194258.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hiya Jedi, sandia seeds has your rattlesnake seeds, $1.25 for 30 seeds. I haven't seen these peppers locally yet. I will keep an eye out though. Cheers!

Back