• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hatch peppers?

OK so I am growing alot of a peppers this coming spring mainly of one variety, we have recieved some seeds from an old American man here in Brisbane QLD. He refered to them as Hatch peppers. They look like Aneheim type pepper. I spotted them growing in his yard and asked him for some chillis my sister was back from california and wanted to make rellenos but we couldn't get any authentic stuffing peppers only sweet bananas so I walked bast this guys house everyday and eventually got to talk to him andgrabbed a few. Anyway they were tasty rellenos. Long story short, are Hatch peppers aneheims etc. IS it a specifc pepper or just a reference for many different species? I'm going to grow about 200. this summer for fresh rellenos and also to turn into an Australia chipotle.

Hatch is a town in New Mexico USA that holds the Hatch Chili Festival in the fall. Hatch peppers are just large anaheim peppers that are grown in and around Hatch. They roast them and make chili rellanos from them just like you, very tasty pepper used many different ways.

Excellent thanks for clearing that up for me. I smoked a few yesterday and made some burritos man they were good. Do you rate them or should I look at a more interesting numex variety. I think they are brilliant as they are rediculiously heavy producers and the seeds are sprouting with no assistance in our winter. (its been getting down to 10 degs cel here recently which may not sound cold to you but I that is like snow here lol. Have you tried smoking anaheims? It went better than I thought considering I had hot smoked them in the bbq.

They make awesome red or green salsa.

The only thing you might want to tweak is the heat. There are varieties available that are mild to XXX Hot. And yes, I find them 10 times easier to grow than most other varieties. The hottest varieties are called barker and lumbre they are about 6-8 inches long. Big Jim is a huge Medium - Hot variety that can get 9-11 inches long. They are all great and easy to grow. If you want specifics how they roast, prepare and use them in the hatch area just let me know what your questions are.

Like PRF said, Hatch chiles are just chiles grown near Hatch, New Mexico (allegedly - a lot of them seem to be imported from Mexico these days). But the "Anaheim" was originally the New Mexico No. 9 chile, seeds of which were taken to Anaheim, CA and grown there. While long, green chiles are popularly known as Anaheims, New Mexico chiles actually are hotter and have better flavor than Anaheims. See this article for more information. And like Beaglestorm said, some varieties such as Barker, Lumbre and one called "New Mexico Extra Hot" (available at Cross Country Nurseries) have more heat than Big Jims or other varieties. Sandias are hot too, but have a thin skin and are better for letting to ripen red and using for red sauce or grinding into powder.

Like PRF said, Hatch chiles are just chiles grown near Hatch, New Mexico (allegedly - a lot of them seem to be imported from Mexico these days). But the "Anaheim" was originally the New Mexico No. 9 chile, seeds of which were taken to Anaheim, CA and grown there. While long, green chiles are popularly known as Anaheims, New Mexico chiles actually are hotter and have better flavor than Anaheims. See this article for more information. And like Beaglestorm said, some varieties such as Barker, Lumbre and one called "New Mexico Extra Hot" (available at Cross Country Nurseries) have more heat than Big Jims or other varieties. Sandias are hot too, but have a thin skin and are better for letting to ripen red and using for red sauce or grinding into powder.

Excellent explanation MW. Hatch chiles are New Mexico green chiles grown in Hatch and the surrounding communities, like Salem. The farmers in the Hatch area primarily grow the chiles that have been improved over the years mostly by the fine folks at NMSU and CPI. Fact...many green chiles are sold with the "Hatch" label that were grown in Mexico and sold cheaply at roadside stands and at grocery stores in many states. The fake Hatch chiles have even reached the Seattle area grocery stores the last couple of years.

Speaking of New Mexico, I've heard pretty wonderful things about Chimayo chiles which are in fact a variety named after a city in New Mexico. I'm putting them on my next shopping list for seeds.

Chimayos are tasty - and early. I have grown them for a couple years, although some guy on GW says I am not growing real Chimayos since there are a lot of fakes out there. My seeds came from the CPI. He said the only real supplier of Chimayo seed is Native Seeds S.E.A.R.C.H. So, I bought some seeds from them this year. I'll let you know if I detect any difference. As with all regional varieties, I suspect folks will always say they aren't real unless grown in the town for which they are named. Good choice!

Speaking of New Mexico, I've heard pretty wonderful things about Chimayo chiles which are in fact a variety named after a city in New Mexico. I'm putting them on my next shopping list for seeds.

Thanks! Since they are my main focus, I've done a lot of research. I had never hear of Salem until you mentioned it. Now I found a seed supplier there. Thanks again!

That is where the Lytle family lives and have some of their farmlands. Faron Lytle and his father have run the seed company Solar Dry from there for about 45 years. Chileseedusa.com I believe. Good people. They also developed the Lumbre and are in the process of getting it certified.

Back