Have access to large pile of well aged Horse/Cow manure....

First I wasn't sure where to put this so I apologize of there is a forum better suited for this topic.

I have access to a large pile of aged Horse/cow manure that to my knowledge hasn't been added to for at least a couple years. In fact, it took us a few minutes just to find it because of the growth surrounding it.  The guy sort of pushed it over a hill but it's still piled and man it looks great.  No spell, black as can be and crumbles great. 

My issue is where can I store it?  I'd rather not just have a big pile of it around since I just got through moving a big pile of soil I had for adding to bare spots in the yard.  It's an eye sore.  However, I have one of these water tanks which since it's roughly the same size as the square tank I have tied into the gutter for a rain barrel, I am guessing is over 300 gallon. 

290_l.jpg

Looks like it does in the picture but it's white.  The top is cracked fairly well and it just sits up on the hill by and old fence, where's it's been for years.  I am wondering if I can use it to store the manure for winter and any other aged compost I can get my hands on for using come spring.  Like I said it is very aged, no smell or anything so I would assume it's very safe to use.  I know horse manure is very high in nitrogen but have read after a couple of years of not adding fresh it can be used on it's own, rather than just in small amounts.  Thoughts?

What would need done to the container before being able to store manure in it?  Drain holes on the sides/bottom?  Cut the top completely off?  Being able to use it would eliminate having a big pile of shit laying around, plus I wouldn't need to move it from its current location.

My intentions are to use this manure, added to potting soil, although not sure on ration, to add to pots for growing peppers and other plants come Spring for both personal use and selling/giving away to friends and family.  I know too much nitrogen will reduce flowering but if the bit about it being a couple years old at least and losing much of the nitrogen is true, I should be good, right?  I know I can use it for selling and giving away in pots as those would be transplanted into the ground and bigger pots, but what about me growing the whole season with this stuff?  Also trying to find out if my town has a aged compost pile some where like a lot of towns do for residents to take from.

That was a lot of words.  Thanks for reading and please give me your thoughts on the matter and any suggestions you may have.  First time dealing with manure for me

You can see the tank in this picture.  Shame it's cracked.
C9TMAno.jpg

Edit-Only bad thing is I do not have a truck anymore and have to bring it one single tote at a time.  So far I have gotten one tote and have added some to a few pots that have peppers in them.  No issues yet and it's been close to a month now.  Well, another bad thing, horse manure is weedy

Since the manure is weedy it might be worth composting it with other organic matter.  The heat of composting will kill the weed seeds.

My girlfriend has 4 horses so we get manure but the weeds are terrible.  New rule is if it isn't composted it doesn't go near the veges.

Do you have a photo of the tank from further away?  I was wondering how it might look from the moon :P

In the spring??
Till it under in the fall.
If yer worried about weeds, mix it 50/50 with fresh chicken, cow or horse (or all of them) in your drum and compost another year or so.

Robisburning said:
Do you have a photo of the tank from further away?  I was wondering how it might look from the moon :P

While looking at it, you need to hold CTRL and tap -  on your keyboard 5 times.

We wouldn't have to invent these workarounds if people would just take a decent lunar picture in the first place though.

Robisburning said:
Since the manure is weedy it might be worth composting it with other organic matter.  The heat of composting will kill the weed seeds.

My girlfriend has 4 horses so we get manure but the weeds are terrible.  New rule is if it isn't composted it doesn't go near the veges.

lol I wasn't even going to include it which is why I posted one like it above.  The pic that shows my tank was basically to show how far away I'd be storing the manure.  It's a good 10 yards or so from my front door.  I have never messed with compost but being that it's the end of September, if I add organic matter  now it won't be broken down by Spring, will it?
Gotrox said:
In the spring??
Till it under in the fall.
If yer worried about weeds, mix it 50/50 with fresh chicken, cow or horse (or all of them) in your drum and compost another year or so.
It would mainly be for my container plants to cut down on bagged soil costs.

If you put it in that tank and keep it moist and turn it over once a week it should be good to go by spring. Moisture and heat it will break down pretty quick.

Awesome!!!!  I would just pile it in a heap with leaves and mulch mixed into it...maybe add a little lime and gympsum as well... and keep it moist like RG said.  and if it is too much of an eye-sore cover it with a tarp... But I would disrecommend putting it in that container, because in my experience it will become sour quickly that way unless its cracker dry...  plus you want it to continue aerobically composting.  Since manure is soo nitrogen-rich you definitely want to let it "mature" with carbon-rich materials like dried leaves and mulch (not pine or cedar as they are fungicidal).   Nice find!!!! :dance:

Back