• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Have I over watered these?

My seedlings have been doing well up until today.  I watered them last night and when I got home from work today one of my plants was completely brown and allot of them have turned slightly yellow and have this upward leaf curl.  I figure it is either because I have over watered them or I have the lights to close.  Does anyone know what’s going on with these, and are my plants in serious trouble?

Ok cool, I just got a little nervous because this one is completely brown.  Maybe it will bounce back or it’s just a bad seed.

jswieton said:

Ok cool, I just got a little nervous because this one is completely brown.  Maybe it will bounce back or it’s just a bad seed.

This one is dead.  It has damped off.

Get a fan on the rest of those, ASAP.

They do look a little wet ....you can see the green algae on top of the soil already....get a fan moving some air and hold back on the water till the soil has dried a bit.

I try to look for a 'fluffy' medium for my seedlings that wicks well so I can bottom water them. I find this prevents damping off and also prevents the soil from compacting.

You want the medium they are growing in to have good moisture retention yet still remain airy and a little loose. Air is really important..

Personally I purchase pre made seed raising mix that contains coco coir or peat. I only bottom water when the top begins to dry a little then feed a 1/4 strength fish emulsion once they get there first true leaves. I lost one seedling out of 80 or so this year with this method and growth was fast.

To my eyes your mix looks soggy and dense, could be wrong though..

they do look a little wet , try not to water around the base of the plants , keep it towards the outer rim of the cups , only 4or 5 spritz's .    :party:

jswieton said:

My seedlings have been doing well up until today.  I watered them last night and when I got home from work today one of my plants was completely brown and allot of them have turned slightly yellow and have this upward leaf curl.  I figure it is either because I have over watered them or I have the lights to close.  Does anyone know what’s going on with these, and are my plants in serious trouble?

I have been bottom watering every 4 days or so, I fill the bottom tray 1/4 of the way up and let the water sit for 30 minute. I drain out whatever is left that hasn't soaked into the soil.  Am I doing something wrong?

I mean that doesn't sound like too much water. but you dont need to water if they are still wet.. a fan can help them dry out faster.

bigger pots can help with watering. (3 in pots / solo cups) as the top will dry out a bit while the bottom still has some water.

If you think those seedlings have got too much water, soil is too compact.  Please take a look at mine.  

32074435570_5d44f3a352_h.jpg

The problem is your seedlings are infected.

lek said:
If you think those seedlings have got too much water, soil is too compact.  Please take a look at mine.  

32074435570_5d44f3a352_h.jpg

The problem is your seedlings are infected.

Lol good luck separating those!

Btw your soil has plenty of larger chunks so probably isn't too compact. It's not 'muddy' like Jswieton's soil.

Jase4224 said:
Lol good luck separating those!

Btw your soil has plenty of larger chunks so probably isn't too compact. It's not 'muddy' like Jswieton's soil.

Trust me I won't separate them. I will cut them using scissors and throw them into the pan. Yummy Yummy.   :metal:

PS. It's clay soil mixed with coconut fiber. 

Back